Which one to buy....?

I'm looking for a Micra for my niece as her first car. Up to £2k to spend. Generally the more you spend the better the car you'll end up with but are there steps in the model's development that are really worthwhile looking for? For instance did the April 1998 facelift with its body & mechanical improvements make a real difference? Are they all prone to sill and crossmember corrosion or did Nissan address this during its life?

The first facelift in '98 was mainly cosmetic, inside and out, it depends what creature comforts you want, e.g. electric windows, air conditioning, power steering, alloys etc. Features like these were generally more common in more recent models.

Not too sure about aspects like corrosion meself. Depending on what engine size you want, 2k will give you some choice with the second facelift (2000-02 k11s) also. The 1 litre option for these for example has 59bhp instead of 54bhp, and the 1.3 (1275cc) was replaced with a 1.4 (1348cc) and a 'bigger' gearbox (bigger ratios for a smoother ride).

Another bonus is all 00-02 k11s had power steering, which is nice :)

Hope this helps.

The 2000 on models are the best protected from rust with plastic coating over the seals although not sure about the cross member.

Many thanks guys. Bought a 52 reg 1.0S yesterday picking up tomorrow. You may see more of me on the forum from now on - although in a way I hope not :laugh:

Back