whats this?

B

Baker

anybody know what a wheel cylinder is
e-bay link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10402&item=4536783017&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Yes, it goes inbetween the rear brake shoes on a car which has rear drums. It pushes out at both sides to apply the brakes.

-Elliot

i need one of these, car nearly failed its MOT due to it - anyone know how much work is needed to make it fit? Will need to get k11 one obviosuly

Yep. There are two 10mm bolts holding the cylinder in place. Just undo those, and undo the 11mm thread (For the brake fluid pipe). Make sure you clamp the brake pipe off first though, or else you will get a lot of air in the system.

Then with a flat screwdriver, prise the cylinder away from the brake drum. Then all you have to do is put the new one in, and refit all the bolts. Remember to bleed that particular brake cylinder though, as to remove the small amount of air that will be in that brake pipe. :)

-Elliot

Haha, yeah with the addition of:

1. Round off 11mm brake line bolt as it's been sat in one place, exposed under the car for 18 years
  2. Curse, swear, hit with hammer & generally make things worse.
  3. Get mole grips before it's completely round & butcher the the bolt off.
  4. Realise you've now got to replace the brake hose.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4, especially step 2, until you've knackered both ends of the flexible hose as well as the solid line.
  6. Replace everything, preferably at least doubling the original cost of parts.
  7. Think everything is sorted.
  8. Snap bleed nipple & decide back brakes don't need bleeding... grr

Not that I had a bad experience or harbour any resentment... :D

damn man, sounds like you had a bad time with yours!! prob best if u dont write a guide on it although i think that..

Herr_spl1ff said:
[*]Curse, swear, hit with hammer & generally make things worse.

should def be included with any guide that is written, is essential! :p hahaha

Yeah, funny the way that always seems to apply! :)

Would have been less stress if I'd done the MOT work before the tax ran out instead of after. Was a bit stressed/rushed! ;)

Back