tyres for our standard alloys

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
i didnt know if i should put this in wanted or general discussions sorry.

basically MOT is due and i am sure the bald ish tyres will fail it. so im looking for a pair of tyres for my front standard alloys. They are 175/60/15 T and i have a couple of questions i cannot find answers to through the search feature and they are:

1) I tried going through ATS, Kwik Fit, Tyre Sales etc and the minimum for one is £80, is this normal?
2)do i have to stick to this size or can i buy similar/alternative sizes? and what profile should i be looking at also?
3)shall i buy from shop or order online then get someone to fit?
4)particular trustworthy sites you have used?
5)anyone selling any?

Cheers

Il leave this here because you've asked a few questions

Check out www.mytyres.co.uk

The reason garages usually cost more is because they'l include the tyre, fitting, disposal of old one, balancing etc, all in the price. Online prices are usually just the tyre alone

thanks for that, it seems like if i buy them online i will still need someone to fit, balance and dispose. so does that mean i may as well get the ones from the main retailers?

and anyone able to answer some of the questions above?

i didnt know if i should put this in wanted or general discussions sorry.

basically MOT is due and i am sure the bald ish tyres will fail it. so im looking for a pair of tyres for my front standard alloys. They are 175/60/15 T and i have a couple of questions i cannot find answers to through the search feature and they are:

1) I tried going through ATS, Kwik Fit, Tyre Sales etc and the minimum for one is £80, is this normal?
2)do i have to stick to this size or can i buy similar/alternative sizes? and what profile should i be looking at also?
3)shall i buy from shop or order online then get someone to fit?
4)particular trustworthy sites you have used?
5)anyone selling any?

Cheers

As me and Arnold said www.mytyres.co.uk are very good and cheap too, they are selling Toyo Proxes CF-1's for £37.30 at the moment, thats the delivered price, as for alternative sizes, it all depends on your rim width, you can try this site to find out what you could use on your rims.. http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html you can also find a tyre size calculator on there to show which tyres would be closest to your desired rolling circumference, but in general the lower the profile the wider the tyre to keep the same road speed. I use a tyre and exhaust centre down the road to change my tyres its £8 a tyre fitted and balanced, that includes disposal of the old tyre.
I was just checking the calculator and it recommends 205/50x15 as the nearest circumference as standard, but the rims would need to be in between 5.5 and 6 inches in width to take them.

oh my god how useful is that site?! gosh! thanks for that!

so according to that site, i should be ok to go wider for up to 20mm but high aspect ratio will change the speedo meter by a significant amount. but also off that site, wider does not mean better grip now thats food for thoughts.

Hi there tse_adam,
You got to bee carfull wen picin tyres, cheep tires is wot they say cheep!!! Just think if your doin the ton on the M1, how sayf is that rubber you've just saved afortune on? Betta by the best you can aford, usualy replace the original if you can, if the maker puts michelin on then they are the best for your motor mate!! Wood u buuy a nu car with joe bloggs rubber fitted as standard!! Eh?

dont worry mate i never intended to buy cheap tyres anyway, i was simply asking what sort of tyres should i go for as i aint got a clue.

service and mot tomorrow so i shall see what happens. cheers mate

a bit of an update, i re-booked my service and MOT because i want to source a few things myself and get the pro to install them for me. hopefully this can save me a few pounds.

i did what you guys said and ordered a set of Toyo Proxes CF 1 for £73.80 and then got myself a set of brake discs and pads for £47 off ebay. i think thats good value for money considering what they are worth with the dealers.

will give you the final figures on how much i saved by going to the independent garages and sourcing my own parts.

Back