What is it?

Hi All,
I am new to this site so forgive me if I ask some silly questions in my quest for knowledge about my new car. It's a Micra Profile 1.0, 1999 V reg
standard up to now but who knows where knowledge will take me, lol.
Anyway to my first question, what is the loop of metal pipe that run across the front of the radiator when you lift the bonnet, I am asking this cause I've noticed it is damaged and do I need to replace it and if so how much will it cost, my dad thinks it as something to do with the power steering. thanks in advance. Jas:upside:

hello and welcome!!!

yes that is the pwer steering tubing you are describing. if you follow that back it leads to the PAS unit!!!

can you describe "damaged" e.g....bent, cracked, big holes, leaking???

thanks

heres a picture. i circled in red what i think you are on about. can you confirm please?

if so its the power steering pipes!

expensive....umm souldnt be!!! depends though

Attachments

• 19102006442.jpg
    19102006442.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 224
well no idea on price brand new, but just the piping from a scrap yard shouldnt be expensive?

have you noticed a difference regarding PAS......e.g its not working or it is or sometimes?

hope this has helped

I haven't really noticed any thing unusual but I am fairly new to driving and this is my first car so I don't really know how it should feel to drive, thank you very much for the advice and info though. No doubt I will be on here a lot in the future lol Cheers again

no problem! :grinning:
just im not sure if you would notice any difference? im sure someone else will advise us!!

Power steering.. as if you even need it on such a small car!!

You will really only notice a difference at very slow speeds.. ie. >5mph. If its pretty heavy (takes alot of effort) to steer at these speeds, your PAS is being affected. If not it should be ok.. Im not an expert, but Check for any holes/ wear and signs of damage elsewhere in the engine bay. If it looks solid enough & isnt playin up.. No worries really!

if it aint leaking its all good :D but i got one spare if you need it. it is the power steering coolent pipe, you will notice it is sooo hard to turn the wheel if it isn't working. if all the fluid is in the res (which is a yellow one up near the drivers side suspention strut) then its not leaking. they are all bent btw, they look broken and squashed but they are normally like that.

i fitted PAS to my car and you don't need the cooling pipe. its only really if it takes you two days to park lol, you can take it out of the system and use a small bit of pipe to loop back the end of the system. best fix i think if it is damaged, it saves you getting a new pipe. if it is damaged and you can get the car to me i will sort it out no problem ;)

Cheers to you all, my Dad got a pipe from the scrap yard and he's going to fit it this weekend when he is off work, so thanks again to everyone

no problem!
so...the new pipe....this has not got any pumps, indents, twists like your one at the moment???

No it looks like new with the bends in all the right places lol and better still it has no dents where it is almost flat like the one that is on at the moment

alright. thanks for letting me know! was curious that was all!!!
so gets fitted 2moro? hope all goes to plan

Back