What is it with mots.

Corey

Deactivated Account
Serious they are getting stupid like they want "old" cars off the road my cars are always top notch and seem to fail on silly things then some how get overpriced.. im just annoyed right now

rear brakes were crazy well good but apparently they are "leaking" and cost £80 to fix....

my other micra passed with rear brakes and front brakes really weak .....

parts are cheap on ebay i dont know were they get thir prices from yea ok thirs labour costs ..

maybe its just the national tyres near mine thats funny but my parents are suposed to be ok with them.. and the guy that lives near us..

thing is ill get my super s all sorted myself and they will fail it for being TOO RED ;)

meh! ah well

Just my thoughts

tell you what i bet its thoes ####e oil shocks they put in a few years back thats leaking onto the brakes lol..... which wer again overpriced

i got KYB gas for my super s and they were cheaper :p

oh well at leist i get a heads up ill just make sure my brakes are all bran new on the super s :p its due discs and pads and what not

wish me luck :p

i think you,ll find uk mot standards are amongst the most lax in the world, for instance most 6+ yr old cars in japan are exported before they fail theirs :eek: and many eu countries dont allow many of our routine "mods"

oh yea dont get me wrong some coountrys "germany" wont be able to have my super s cuz of no cats on it ;)

but yea im still annoyed , like everyone else would be on here

normally 60-80 but if it dont take too long.. they just think parts plus round it up a bit.. i dunno but ill be having a good check at the work..
and hope i dont see that the wheels have not been taken off :p

garages are £150 labour hour i think?

just kidding but some places are realy dear
i got mot up in next few days and have already done the handbrake cable(means stripping the drum breaks and putting back)
i took my time and acumplished something in 5 odd days:grinning:

i rather do things myself tho .. :p specially cheaper in parts and can some times enjoy it..

yea my super s needs a cable i think cuz the handbrake is loose when down.. but it dont pull up far so i dont know its weird.. its been like it for a wile. since stood last year..

ah well' will see it did pass like this last oct :p

Alot of MOT places & garages will just lie, and report faults you dont have. My corsa last year had two pages of advisories in it's MOT but they said they'd pass it if they can do the repairs. I said yeah to get it through and then told them where to go. I got it inspected shortly after by a mate (mechanic) and he said it was fine. This year it had it's MOT and had no advisories at all.

When the micra's gear stick fell through the floor, (we all know it's the mounts), a garage quoted me £350 to fix it as they said i needed a whole new gear selector and linkages to the gearbox. I went to nissan, got them for £20 and did it myself. Also, Kwik fit said to me they couldn't fit my new alloys to my glanza! 'The wheel studs were too short'. I told them they were designed to fit that car. Half an hour later they were all on.

It's worth learning how to do alot of the basic stuff yourself as you'll save a bomb. If someone says to you the shocks are nackered or similar, you can more than likely tell them they're wrong. Also, it appears a lot of people who work in the industry don't actually have a clue what they're doing.

Ive always thought MoT centres (that ive been too) have been quite fair. I had about 6 failures last time around, ranging from corroded brake pipes to non working headlights. Everything was repaired by me and a friend over 3nights and all was good. If your rear brakes are leaking then id say thats a fairly serious thing that a car should fail an MoT on, my LX also failed on a front caliper leaking turned out it was just a loose bleeding screw and took 2 1/2 mins to sort but im glad they picked me up on that because I could have easily missed it and it could have caused a more serious issue down the line.

To be honest I dont really send a car into an MoT ever thinking it will fly through :laugh: its all in the fun of owning a car (Y) . Prepare for the worst eh.

i dont send them into fail tbh.. unless they said rust which cant be seen dead easy but they just prod about now with screw drivers.. ah well i think its getting harder now specialyl for k10s.. k11s aint too bad unless it is serious.

but i hope they aint pocketing the money and it is somthing simple..

It's best to do all your own work on your car i think. When you do the job yourself, you take your time and you do it to the best of your ability. To a mechanic it's "just another car" and they don't care about it because it's not theirs, so no matter how clean and smart your car is, they'll never show it that same amount of care and respect that the owner will.

Every repair i have ever had to do to any of my vehicles, i have only had to do once.
Looking though my car's history at all the reciepts and garage invoices passed on by it's previous owners indicate that my car had to have it's brake callipers "serviced" every year due to being "partially seized".
When i got the car they were indeed partially seized, and the very first job i ever did on that car was sorting out the front callipers.
That is the only time that job has had to be done while i've owned the car, and that was almost 5 years ago now.
And that's the magic of copper grease, slap it on!!!!! :laugh:

Update... just rear offside.. £70 so thats just one,,,,,, what ever.. it was .. meh i aint payed for it anyways mum n dad have and hope the guy still wants it..

wel ive never had a problem with mot but knowing loop hole do come in handy i just put mine through on cut spring and a few other mods and it passed with flying colours

Response from an Independant garage/MOT station!

Firstly, Vosa and the general public has a real problem with the standard MOTs are carried out to. Vosas interpretation of the test is 'a Minimum safety standard'.
When testers are trained they are told 'Imagine a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being a new car, 1 being a scrapper. If you were to service a car you would want its condition to be 7 or 8, not as a new car but in full working condition. When you MOT a car it only has to be above 3 on this scale.'
On the back of an MOT it states 'An MOT test pass confirms that, when the vehicle was examined in accordance with section 45 of the road traffic act 1988, it met the minimum kegal requirements for those items prescribed under the act.'

Its a minimum safety standard. However, in the real world, sadly the MOT test isn't conducted in such a way. Fast fit centres, car dealers etc. have sales targets to hit. They realise, as the MOT is a legal requirement the customer will feel obliged to have any and all work done to pass the test. Its sad but true but at least once a week we hear the same story! 'I went to Fast fit/car dealer and they want me to spend £500 on new brakes/suspension bushes/tyres etc.' then when we check it, it needs nothing!

We had a customer a few weeks ago. He had a BMW Mini. The car was just out of warranty and had gone in for its first MOT. They told him it needed £500 worth of work. New rear discs and pads and 4 new tyres. We had a look. The rear discs had a bit of rust round the edge and all 4 tyres were wearing on the outer edge. The tyres were stil over 1.6mm across the centre 3/4 of tread. The rear brakes worked well without judder, grab etc. and had a decent efficiency. Now this guy had the good sense to question the station but how many just pay for the work? Madness!

Next thing! Our labour rate is £30 an hour. We have a good reputation, both our workshops are close to the town centres and we have clean, modern well equiped workshops. As far as smaller garages in our area they charge between £20 and £40 an hour. I'd say this was pretty much a nationwide average. Dealers about here charge up to £110 which is fairly typical too. For £150 an hour I'd expect to be able to hire at least a B grade celebrity to fix your car!

When it comes to older cars/imports many testers take the huff. Every MOT must be done in pretty much the same way, checking the same stuff in the same way. If its an older car it could take longer to check corrosion or brake pipes. If it fails badly it takes longer to enter the reasons for rejection. Testers want an easy life, older cars take longer and involve more work. They start the job with a bad attitude!

As some have said, having a bit of prior knowledge helps. If your car fails always ask to see what its failed on. Always ask to see the parts that are needed and read the wording on the failure.

You only have to fix the stuff on the failure. An advisory note is 'in the opinion of the tester'. If you wanted to, as the tester you could advise the car would look better red, you could advise magic trees are better than the little traffic lights etc. Its just an opinion, not legally binding!

You do not need to have the work carried out by the MOT station. When your car fails you get 10 working days to have the repairs done before you have to pay for a full MOT again. You can have anyone you want carry out the work. If its too dear and you can't do the work yourself shop around.

Don't be intimidated by the garage, there are still decent ones out there! Unfortunatly we are all tarred with the same brush. grr

Response from an Independant garage/MOT station!

etc........

+1

Whether a car passes or not is down to an MOT testers discretion, many of them might see a customer as a way of making a quick buck and meet sales targets.

Unfortunately due to this, many people are put off buying/repairing older cars and simply scrap them.

I used to work at a small independant garage near Dudley, as our garage is independant we have no sales targets or pressure to sell, the MOT tester/proprioter uses his common sense rather than pressure selling and teeth-sucking. As a result we were very popular and almost always fully booked for the week, both on MOTs and seperate repairs. I cannot tell you the amount of times people have come to us with a quote of £500 worth of repairs from a different 'big name' garage only to find that that "corrosion in the exhaust pipes" is nothing more than surface rust which could be cleaned up and treated for about £15.

As everyone has said here, its always good to know a bit about your car, know whats wrong etc... If you come across this again, try and shop around, get second opinions from other garages, dont just go with big names, try small independant garages, they often need the work and will try to create a better rapport with the customer.

Labour at the last garage I worked at was £30 an hour, larger, big-named organisations might charge more.

Some places charge £50+ph and that to me makes me feel sick...
this is exactly why sites like this thrive even if someone joins this site with a problem it's good for everyone,
1. they can get a rough idea of how bad the problem is.
2. everyone else knows what to look out for in future.
3. you feel like you really helped someone in life during these tough pennyless times were in.

Thankyou Internet... (Y)

near me there is a mot place called roytons they just mot no repairs so there's no point them failing it for extra work try and find somewhere similar near you
they might recommend places to have repairs done but thats about it

Kwik fit said to me they couldn't fit my new alloys to my glanza! 'The wheel studs were too short'. I told them they were designed to fit that car. Half an hour later they were all on.

ive just got a job fitting tires and is someone asks us to fit alloys we always check maybe reccomend spacers or spiggot rings kwik ### just want money from new tires and stuff like that
its always worth shopping around if your not confident to do things yourself or ask friends i get annoyed when people come in and say the garage told me i need 4 tires when they only really need 2 grr remember honesty is the best policy :grinning::grinning:

I think if we all got out and get some high-visability jackets and get the VOSA logo stamped onto them, then wear them when we go for MOTs... That might help keep their minds on the job and out of our pockets :grinning:

that will make it harder lol cuz they do everything by the book lol.. national tyres near me, come to think about it are alreet i went to one place to get sils sorted rust wise and the guy i kinda know at national tyres said it needs doing i was peed of but it was the other garage that did a ####e job of the welding and repairing..

so i think for now ill carry on goign national tyres £40 mot and before he does that he will check the brakes and so on before mot incase i need to do any work myself.

still trying to sell my blue micra tho but people knock me down.

ah wel

Back