Vaccum timing advance

hi guys

could someone explain what this means and how to do it on a k11 please ... thanks

Vacuum timing advance[edit]
The second method used to advance (or retard) the ignition timing is called vacuum timing advance. This method is almost always used in addition to mechanical timing advance. It generally increases fuel economy and driveability, particularly at lean mixtures, it also increases engine life through more complete combustion, leaving less unburned fuel to wash away the cylinder wall lubrication (piston ring wear), and less lubricating oil dilution (bearings, camshaft life, et. al). Vacuum advance works by using a manifold vacuumsource to advance the timing at low to mid engine load conditions by rotating the position sensor (contact points, hall effect or optical sensor, reluctor stator, etc.) mounting plate in the distributor with respect to the distributor shaft. Vacuum advance is diminished at wide open throttle (WOT), causing the timing advance to return to the base advance in addition to the mechanical advance.

Basically, off throttle you get a vacuum behind the throttle body where the engine is trying to suck in air. This vacuum acts on a diaphragm which either activates a signal on an ecu or it rotates the base plate on a mechanical dizzy, the effect being to advance the timing. It's more of an environmental thing, I always disconnected my vacuum advance when i had one.

Basically, off throttle you get a vacuum behind the throttle body where the engine is trying to suck in air. This vacuum acts on a diaphragm which either activates a signal on an ecu or it rotates the base plate on a mechanical dizzy, the effect being to advance the timing. It's more of an environmental thing, I always disconnected my vacuum advance when i had one.
ahhh ok i get it... so where abouts is it located and how do u disconnect it ???

Back