TV standby buttons will be outlawed - What are you doing?

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19509-2266159,00.html

at last their finally doing somthing about it...

I mean come on - there must be a huge % of people out there that buy a 99p bulb from asda that uses more juice that a £5 one - people don't realise the long term savings...

My dad is ALWAYS telling me to turn the TV off rather than putting it on stand by. I know my sister has the nasty habit of turning everything off in her flat before she leaves (bar the fridge)...

So what do you do to save energy? Considering the cost of fuel has anyone learned a car has more than 1st, 2nd 3rd and heavy brake foot? Ever tried coasting? i can annoy people in rush hour but when the roads are empty is can save a few pennies on the liquid gold :)

i go to bed

Have a look around your room? is your PC ATX? if so thats using juice as we speak - even turned "off"....

It's amazing seeing how many products you think are "off" are still drinking the ellecy...

I leave 3 pc's on all the time and my 2 servers.

I have a full fridge, full freezer, 2 tv's which are left on standby,

Digitv boxes x2, microwave, 2x sound systems, 1 x surround sound system.

I think i am classed as engery drainer?

We're actually pretty poor at energy saving, well i personally am. I think we have one energy saving light bulb in our whole house! Then again, with all my electrical devices being on standby, i dont need central heating to heat my room up (so im saving energy there!?).

I know i'd switch things off if i didnt have standby option, but because they're there to use, and im a kinda lazy person, i'l use them.

I was speaking to Ed recently who's wired in a solar panel to his house, and he's managed to save quite a lot of energy & money over recent weeks. That's something id quite like to do, even if its just running the devices in my bedroom, but i havent got the technical know how to wire one in.

All houses should have a solar panel or some kind of renewable supply to reduce the national demand and bring down energy prices.

Solar is good for a few months then i think you'll have to stick a wind prop up there for winter.

After looking around my room i've found the following always on..

Alram Clock - it's mains not battery
Hi-Fi - Hardly used as my PC has 7.1
VCR - Used it once - lol
Server - 40% it's downloading some thing, other times it's just on.
Digi Dice - LCD display always telling you the time
TV - i always stick it to sleep at night but never bother turning it "off"
ATM - Fan - my room gets very hot
Plus other PC related bits like router, switch, Belkin Switch box etc

I think a rewiring effort is in order.

My house is totally lit with energy saving light bulbs, both upstairs and down stairs lighting rings are run from solar power, and have been for the last two months, this includes outside floodlights, since they are not needed much.

I use energy efficent light bulbs
switch off the PC + TV at the wall when not in use
and i got an energy efficent Beer Fridge

The only things that get left on when not in use are the three fridges, freezer , phone, and wireless rooter

OK so maybe not that energy efficent but trying.

quick look around my room and things that are always on are

fish tank filter and air pump
freeveiw box
alarm clock(mains)
hi-fi on standby

everything else is turned off unless im using it

they all run FOH or other types of open source computer stuff.

It just means that i can grab hold of a pc when i need to for work, Be it when im watching tv, asleep, in the garage, there is a pc around when i need :)

nothing..i dont save energy

oh i turn lights off when im not in the room..but everyone does that

My pc and monitor combined drain 480w even when the computer is idle.. I now never leave this on when I'm out!

In any case as I said.. I have one of these lol

panel2.jpg

Which is charging a group of 12v 330ah batteries that run all the lights in the house.. It also provides power to my phone charger and laptop etc..

So far about £500, and yes self installed. To be fair the panel is too small for winter months, but I just checked and its been running all my lighting here for the last two months! With the energy saving bulbs as well the previous _idiot_ who was renting a room here now gone usage here has dropped from around £200 a month (gas + elec) to about £40-50.

TBH it was a joke how much this house was eating energy. So I thought I would see what I could do about it, I'm not really trying to be energy efficient more not waste full.

still it's saving the pennies - TBH i think thats why alot of people will/are doing it - not to save mother earth and all the other hippy reasons but for the few extra pounds saved :)

Its a bonus all round really, I love solar stuff anyway, I have not financially gained at all there it would take years to save, but the fact that its making its own power is cool, and power prices will only go up. Ultimately it would be good to do 100% own power I'm going to look into wind soon for the winter too ;)

I like leaving my 360 on standby tho, cause it looks good when you turn it on with the controller...lol

But no, I agree, cut the stand by!

did you no that if every home in the UK used 2 energy saving bulbs there would be enough energy to supply all the street lights in the UK

Back