Thermostat housing leak... be sure to check yours!

pietro

Ex. Club Member
My thermostat housing has sprung a leak, the aluminum has perished to form a perfet pin hole. Aluminum may not be the best material for this job Nssan!

Anyone got a spare they can sell me or do you think Nissan will still stock this part?

This happened yesterday and luckly I noticed the temp rising and steam from bonnet right away, who would have thought such a small hole could do so much!

ps. I am refering to the housing that sits on with three bolts by the distributer cap.

well, nissan call that an 'outlet water housing'

are you sure its got a hole in, not just a leaky gasket?

In any even, they are readily available from the scrap yard. Get one, clean it up, get a new gasket and bang it on.

Wile your at it, its a good time to flush your cooling system out with a hosepipe until it all runs clear (make sure you set your heater to the hot position)

Antifreeze is essential in aluminium block engines to prevent corrosion of parts. Make sure you always have the correct amount in the coolant.

Ahh so true. This is what was the death of the St before I had it, 4 years no antifreez the water became corrosive (mostly the steal pipes) fell appart, and rotted from the inside out. fortunately the engine was fine.

All repaired now.

The thermostat was rubbing against the inside of the thermostat housing which eventually led to the formation of a tiny pin hole. Got a new gasket and housing for £13 with VAT from nissan as it was faster than going to the scrappy.

I also changed my points while I was there, car sounds much happier now! Luckly I have fitted after market elec ignition so the next change will not be for ages, and then it will only be due to mechanical wear.

Ed: You still selling that body kit to me?

Thanks

I bought a third party thermostat replacement for another vehicle, and it was way too big for the housing and ended up getting crushed. Do you know if it was a Nissan one in there or another one?

Back