Suggestions for shocks & struts.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I reckon it must be time to replace the shocks and struts on my 302k Micra. They are original after all. lol.

Car is slightly lowered with King springs, has the heavier front and rear stabiliser bars from Whiteline and the Whitleline strut brace. Still run 13inch rims.

So any suggestions?

Mychael

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
KYB Excel G. High quality nitrogen charged shocks.

I've absolutely no complaints of them whatsoever. had them on pulsar as well and they were great.

Only thing which annoys me is that my springs and shocks have never been matched.. Ideally I'd like to have damper/rebound rates matched to the spring rates but we can't have everything unless we're willing to spend the money now can we.

Cheers

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Koni still exist and they're good shocks but waaay overpriced for what you get IMO.

Gas shocks are the preferred choice for an Australian road shock - oil can overheat on choppy surfaces. Nitrogen keeps the oil under greater pressure and this increases its boiling temperature, AFAIK. So while you get a stiffer shock it is also more resistant to fade/overheating. When this happens it will foam and the shock won't actually work. It will settle down once it cools but in that time when the shock overheated the seals will be damaged and the shocks will not really work the same or last as long. Ask Alex_B.. He overheated his konis and they've never really been the same.

Trivia for you, the Nismo S-tune package actually uses KYB Nitrogen charged shocks. Of course they are actually valved to Nismo's specs so they match the springs. But you don't see a company like Nismo using just any old rubbish to put their brand name on. :)

Cheers

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Priced Nissan parts. Very expensive. KYB only seem to have the Excel G. Their website lists SR.Specials but no place has that in their parts listing.

I'll e-mail japanparts to see if I can just get their shocks.

Bilstein and Koni don't carry anything.

Does not leave much choice.

Mychael

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The only Koni's ive seen for the K11 are the Yellow adjustable inserts. Personally I think the implementation of the insert being supported in the original shock tube by only some rubber is less than ideal.

Apart from that I just don't believe a purely oil filled shock is the ideal item for a street driven car in Australia.

I've driven on my KYB Nitrogen shocks through QLD, NSW, VIC, SA and the ACT without issue or the slightest bit of shock fade (and the car was loaded up to what would surely be its max payload). I really doubt a set of oil filled shocks of any brand would have coped with the flogging mine were given - and they're absolutely fine to this day!

I'd buy them again.. But I won't.. because they'll be getting rebuilt to Nismo S-tune specs when the time comes (if I don't find a set myself).

but of course everyone's opinion can be a little different and everyone prefers something different I guess. They may be exactly what someone else is looking for...

Cheers

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi mipcar,

Koni do have some available for the micra... Just select "nissan" rather than "Nissan Australia" on their online catalogue.

Front : 8610-1319Sport
Rear : 80-2748Sport

The front ones are adjustable on car. The rear ones can be adusted after detaching one end from it's mount.

I have these fitted to my car (supplied as part of the Whiteline shocks & spring kit) and I have found them to be very good. I have them set to the softest setting and provides good handling and comfort.

Please note, the front is not a complete replacement strut. To fit these Koni shocks you need to cut off the top of the old strut, remove the contents and then drill a hole in the bottom of it. You press the koni shock into the empty strut and then secure it with a bolt at the bottom. A fairly straight forward DIY job but fitting a complete replacement strut is much easier.

I have been happy with the konis but next time I would probably consider the Nismo S-Tune shocks and springs kit (these work very well on GTRHolics car). If you are interested in them I expect www.perfectrun.com.au would be able to provide a quote.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Thanks "Makes". I found the Nismo ones on Japan parts but they came with springs which I don't require.
Prices I have had so far are Koni sport: $538F $353R and for the Kyb's:
$353F & $150R.
Kyb's are only spec'd to replace standard Micra although having said that the suspension place siad they are much better quality.
I think a complete strut replacement would be easier then what you need to do with the Koni's.
I'll take a look at "Perfectrun " and see what they have in the Nismo stuff.

Thanks Guys,
Mychael

there's no point in getting just shocks if they won't be correct for your springs. if you have kings springs and expect any decent handling out of them, your wasting your time, there more of a cheap way to get your car to look good, rather then turn it into a car on rails.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
^^ Spot on.

I ditched my king springs because quite simply I didn't like them. My current Apexi sports springs are far superior and are actually a nice match to the KYB excel G shocks (which is more fluke than anything else).

King springs are good in that you can get them make custom height and springrate though!

Cheers

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Never had trouble with the King springs. I don't scrub out my tires and handling is pretty much neutral, going to oversteer if I really push it.
All the springs have remained pretty equal, no list to one side or the other from uneven settling.
Remember I am going from 300,000'k stock shocks and struts. So I reckon I'll go with the KYB. They are readily available and a good price when compared to some of the other stuff.

When I ordered my King springs (long time ago now) there was two sets listed for the Micra, the lowered set which I fitted and the standard ride height ones. I never bothered with custom settings and the springs as they are give me a slightly lower car without having to worry about speed humps and stuff.

Mychael

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Well I settled on the KYB's. $353 pair fronts and $150 pair rear.
Next step up would have been Koni Sport @ $538 & $335. Koni's are adjustable. The KYB's are not.

Would have nice to get the better ones but I've lived with the originals for 12yrs and 300,000k's so I reckon the Koni's should be an improvement.

Mychael

CMF_jay85

» CMF Member
hey.... yeh for all both front struts and both rear shocks.... the rear shocks were like 40 each and the front were 130 each and then the bump stops for the front struts were like 50..... only last friday... have you got ur stuff yet?

CMF_nippon

» CMF Member
hey jay,the guy that you bought the struts from,have u got his contacts.Cause i think its really cheap.Would you be able to hook me up with him.I've got king springs but its not as low as i thought it would be.So i'm thinking of getting the shock absorbers.I'm in melbourne.Do you think the guy would ship it over.

CMF_SxOxAxD

» CMF Member
Hi Jay,

I would be interested in any info on parts aswell if possible. Currently doin up my micra interior (large cost invloved) but tryin to keep costs down on shocks and springs so any help would be much apreciated.

Regards

SxOxAxD

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Pedders do a Comfort - gas shock, and a SportsRider - Which is a much firmer shock. I managed a Pedders branch for a few years and to be honest, I still find their stuff to be pretty good.

The only thing I dont like about Pedders is their Nolathane - Torsional Bush. Im not much for any torsional bush made from nolathane, that incorporates a solid ferrel. The bush is too hard and has minimal twist, unlike rubber... Eventually the bush acts as a bearing with the ferrel just wearing away at the Nolathane. Excellent "short term" applications like racing or regular rebuilds, but poor lifespan.

Back