Speed / Acceleration Targets?

CMF_charlie000

» CMF Member
does anyone know the gear limitations of the Micra? it dosent say in the book, and i dont really want to have to go wreck the gearbox to find out... i did a coupple of times to have a look but didnt enjoy it...
in a factord standard K11 1.3, i got to:

0-30 mph, 1st
30-55 mph, 2nd
55-75 mph, 3rd
75-90 mph, 4th
90-105 mph 5th

but that was NOT enjoyable as the engine was making an awful noise... and as my car dosent have a rev-counter (which is a shame because i REALLY want one!) i didnt know how much the engine was going...

anyway, just wondered if anyone knew any of the 'speed limitations' of the car etc??

Or does anyone have any 'top speeds' to boast of? lol

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
the awful noise was the engine revving its tits off.

its ok if you revving heaps and all of a sudden it cuts out thats the rev limiter.
if you do a search its been covered before. all i remember is 1st gets to around 55km/hr and 2nd goes to about 95km/hr.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
The amount of power gets lost at a certain point, so milking the gears for all their worth isnt as quick as having a short shifter and a quick clutch foot. My mate compared my micras 0-60km/h to a N/A supra yesterday! I was pleased. :)

Also, it will destroy your engine. Just doing it once may expose weaknesses in your cars heat gasket... I used to find out all about my head gasket weaknesses when i had a Mini... 3 gaskets later i sold it. :/

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
While toma is right in saying that high rpm can often expose weaknesses in the engine its highly likely that the problems you expose in a bit of high RPM work will show up later in the vehicles life anyway.

The way I see it you really have nothing to loose. I prefer to find things sooner rather than later though.

Also those speeds brendon seem just a bit high!

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Okay I hit about 46km/hr when I bounced off the revlimiter in 1st and I was doing 85km/hr in 2nd when I bounced off the revlimiter there.

Thats with standard rolling diameter tyres (185/55r14) and a very accurate speedo (GPS tested).

Not much point in taking a standard CG13 much past 6000rpm so I'd say change gears from 1st into second around 40km/hr, snap into 2nd gear and change gears at 80km/hr.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
how many normal micra engines have been destroyed by hitting the rev limiter lots of times, i would estimate it to be none. there is no reason for it to cause any damage at all.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The only risk is that the engine is already quite worn and the high RPM will stress any worn components to the point where they can fail.

Or something was incorrectly assembled or made and the constant high rpm use will stress it past its limits causing a possible failure. Reminds me of a heap of turbo diesel landcruisers spitting out rods because of a bad batch of crank bearings.

CMF_Kai

» CMF Member
I have a standard 1.0L also, my gear speeds are as follows

1st - 30mph
2nd - 55mph
3rd - 80mph
4th - 100mph(top so far, ran outa road and it still had room to accelerate)
5th - (when i was in 4th@100 i shifted to 5th and it went down to 90 and stuck there)

Back