spark plugs

When I got my K12, 7 or 8 years ago, one of the first things I did was replace the spark plugs. I fitted NGK LFR5AP-11 platinum tipped plugs, on the principle that I didn't want to be stripping the air plenum chamber off of the top of the engine every 10,000 miles to check/replace them. Well I have had no plug problems at all, but last year, due to the car having done at least 45K miles since they were fitted, I thought that it wouldn't hurt to treat the car to a fresh set. The picture below is of the old set, that had done 45K miles and as a comparison a picture of one of the new plugs.... Now they are not cheap, (cheapest I can currently find is about £11.50 each) but well worth fitting. You don't have to 'gap' them, come with the gap pre-set at 1.1mm, hence the suffix '11' in the plug number....
old plugs.jpg

It takes about 5 minutes to get into them on a typical micra, and I'd rather have fresh plugs every year.

Just changed my 1998 1300cc K11 standard NGK plugs after seven years & 30K miles runabout use & they still looked fine even under detail gap measurement & magnifying glass examination!

The vehicle seems to start & perform just the same with no discernible change between the old and or new plugs set fitted.

Changing plugs every year @ approx. £15 a set would have cost £105 plus labour for no apparent benefit or improvement for me, only benefit appears to be increasing profits for the garage trade?

Now in its twenty seventh year my old K11 just passed its MOT with no advisories & just keeps on going with no issues, that’s the way I like it. :)

In that case dont bother changing the oil or filter too, that's save you another small pittance compare to the value of the car.

Revealing one line reflection anecdote on you part when considering documented evidence substantiated by my many years of management experience with plugs in my K11 that continues to pass MOTs without advisories & perform as it was designed; - now in its twenty seventh year entirely maintained by myself.

I have saved a small fortune in 49 years of motoring via DIY avoiding garage trade mechanics at every opportunity. Inspection, test attention to detail & logical rationality to get the evidence is key with every process that we manage.

Regarding oil in a gas ICE that is an entirely separate distraction issue subject matter that you confusingly raised muddling the facts not rationally or logically related to the thread subject; - namely gas ICE plugs maintenance? :confused:

It takes about 5 minutes to get into them on a typical micra, and I'd rather have fresh plugs every year.
On a K11 yes, on the K12 it necessitates removing the air intake, the air filter assembly, the air intake plenum on top of the engine that contains the throttle body, the MAF and Map sensors and half of the four leg inlet manifold, then you can remove the four coil packs and if you have a long enough spark plug extension you can remove the plugs......

I was talking about the K12, still takes 5 minutes, I've done it every year for the past 5 years.....
It's really not that much trouble compared to other cars I've had, live the vauxhall v6

Back