changing k12 spark plugs

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Morning Lauro. i've actually bought a set for mine and still haven't plucked up the courage to start - on the 1.6 you've got to take the air piping, the throttle body and the intake manifold :(.

what onm earth??????????????/ i hate modern car they are so rediculous to acces when there smothing that is changed regulary! like on my dad volvo v40 took about an hour to find them even after remoiving half the crap to get to them remove the coils and its like none of my extensions would reach them loil

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Morning Lauro. i've actually bought a set for mine and still haven't plucked up the courage to start - on the 1.6 you've got to take the air piping, the throttle body and the intake manifold :(.

Make sure you do another tutorial - Im counting on you!!

Guy

Club Member
Picking the gasket up at lunchtime. Tomorrow is the day! Well, it will be if I can find out what size sparkplug socket i need. Frantically googling here...

Guy

Club Member
Got the gasket (~£22 for about 1p worth of plastic - GRRR) and the extra long magnetic remover doo-dah! Work commences 09:00 tomorrow morning, hangover permitting...

*Starts humming the theme from the Dambusters...*

Vitus992

Ex. Club Member
Got the gasket (~£22 for about 1p worth of plastic - GRRR) and the extra long magnetic remover doo-dah! Work commences 09:00 tomorrow morning, hangover permitting...

*Starts humming the theme from the Dambusters...*

Robbing gits - good luck chap.

Guy

Club Member
Just finishing up now. got to reconnect all the pipes and put the air system back on and the engine cover. Filthy job but not killer hard - more a bit of a pain :). If it comes out ok, I may have a photo of some inlet valves soon. Just came back in to find the torque value for the inlet mani...

Quick teaser:

inlet_valve.png

Change the spark plugs of March 2005 made is a nightmare, you must remove the engine cover, disconnect all pipes and sensors, in mi case one of the bolts of the cover turns at the same time of the nut and crash the engine cover that is plastic made, really is a hard work.

Guy

Club Member
At least they're really long life plugs Juan :grinning:. Where are you from?

I´m from Iquique-Chile South America I bought a used Nissan March from Japan, I like to begin from zero I changed the air filter, the spark plugs Denso Iridium IKH16, but can´t find the fuel filter.

Greetings friend,

Guy

Club Member
Hi Juan, Just had a good look on Nissan4U and my service manual. There is no seperate fuel filter on the K12, it's integrated into the pump in the tank :).

Can anyone post me a link for the tool they used to remove the plugs, as I am having difficulty trying to get a tool that will fit? The plugs are quite deep in the head and the diameter of my sockets is too wide (for the bore of the holes by mm’s) and I can’t find anything in local motor factors, including Halfords? Please help?

Guy

Club Member
Crack_Fox, mine was in one of the tool cabinets at Halfords. It's just called an 8/14mm sparkplug socket. Looks like a metal rod about 10" long :).

Does anyone know the correct torque settings for the spark plugs and the intake manifold as last time I swapped mine I worried they were too loose / too tight.

Can someone please let me know what tool is needed to remove spark plugs on the K12 1.2 engine.

I know it needs a long socket.

If anyone has the instructions, please let me know.

Thanks!

I believe it's a 12mm deep socket. You'll have to go out and buy one for £5 or so. There are only two or three spark plug sizes for all cars, for future reference: 10mm, maybe 11mm and definitely 12mm. And make sure it has a rubber bung type of thing inside the socket because that is what grips onto the spark plug so you can pull it out

I'm 99.99% sure, yes. It's got to be a DEEP socket, not a long socket. Trust me, there's a difference. Myself and another mechanical engineer stood at the counter of Target tools for a good half hour trying to figure out why a 12mm deep socket isnt the same size as a 12mm long socket, or in other words why a 12mm deep socket isn't 12mm. Our conclusion was that for deep sockets the sizing is the size of the thread, not the size of the head of the bolt. So a 14mm screw head with a 12mm thread takes a 12mm deep socket but a 14mm long socket :D