sky broadband

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
anyone got the 16mb package, ive seen reviews where people have said you can only use the modem/router that sky provide but im sure that isnt the case,

just like to know what the service is like, always up no downtime

im with bt at the moment on a unlimited 2mb connection this has yet to have any problems (touch wood)

as i play online gaming and i have a netgear DG834 which i use the ethernet cable router to connect my brother who also uses online gaming unlimited usage is a must for me

Dependent on the area you may find sky's service to be useless. Some people i know say its great others don't

Had a horror with them when i tried to switch they said we could get 8mb here a while back, wasn't until two days before the switch over they said sorry we cant deliver the £10 package if you want to stay its the full price 2mb one at £40

Most of the MAC codes I supply to people migrating ISP are those going to SKY, seems to be a good package if you already have SKY, not heard anything bad about them (yet)

The 2 worst ones I know of are TalkTalk and Orange.

As for the gear you need, they might mean you need an ADSL2+ model to allow for the larger speeds but any will do, they might have it in the T&C that you must purchase their gear though.

NOTE, always check the fair usage policy when an ISP says unlimited because an ISP will never give unlimited as the cost to them just from 10 heavy users usally takes about 50 low users to cover the cost

i doubt you would hit a download cap playing games online, the data passed isnt really that much.

How does sky broadband work? through sallelites or telephone connection? because i know satellite connectnios used to have really bad ping times because of the distance the signal traveled. PLaying online with a ping time of 200+ is a major disadvantage. May as well be on 56k >_<

apprantly they are using netgear modem/routers, i just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiance or problems

i doubt you would hit a download cap playing games online, the data passed isnt really that much.

How does sky broadband work? through sallelites or telephone connection? because i know satellite connectnios used to have really bad ping times because of the distance the signal traveled. PLaying online with a ping time of 200+ is a major disadvantage. May as well be on 56k >_<

Same as all ADSL it's through the BT system, I think it's LLU as it's greater than BT as they won't supply faster than 8mb

sky broadband are useless.. i asked for the welcome pack.. 5 months later its still not here!. i now am using www.bethere.co.uk as my ISP. its £24 and its a WOPPING 24meg. stupidly fast, downloads are about 2MB (2000KB)/s thats an mp3 in about 1.5 secs. Its unlimited and i have downloaded about 140Gb in the month ive had it and they havent said anything! i love it and their customer service was 11 out of 10 on set up. EXCELLENT company V highly recommended. forget sky.

BeThere again run a fair usage policy, keep doing the 140GB and they will be in touch.

Basically anyone running an "unlimited" service have the fair usage policy in place, basically means if you use too much they will warn you, I always had on and off months when I was with NTL and their "unlimited" service.

Back