Side effects to flywheels...

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
So I replaced that stock heavy bugger with a datrats one, few weeks back. Eversince everytime I start the car coldI can hear the timing chain rattle(I'm guessing)... It's in perect sequence fades-in-and-out. When the car warms up it's gone.

I'm asking is this due to to the flywheel throwing off the balance between top and low. frank2 you must know!!!!

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
AFAIK the timing chain tensioners are self adjusting, never heard of anyone being able to tighten them up. I believe they can gum up a bit with sludge.

As to the flywheel throwing off the balance generally speaking most cars will cope fine without issue, one could argue that the engine designers would have calculated all rotational forces and designed the flywheel to maximise smoothness and rotational balance, engines are desinged as whole so there would have to be some effects even if they are not normally felt.
Stands to reason if you change weight in any rotating mass then you must change the overall harmonics of the vibrations.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
the f/w does smooth out the 2 explosions from every revolution eh, and you might get a bit more "snatch" at low rpm with a lighter f/w maybe ?
i always check chain slack by holding a cam with a 22mm spanner and turning the crank pulley backwards then forwards (my engines have about 3 or 4 notches on the pulley, of slack)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"You mean a link just about to give up?? And you rotat the harmonic balancer yeah..?

yes, 1 pin had worn right through the link and was about to let go ! @ about 100k miles, yet the lower chain was still servicable @ 132k when i broke the car
and yes, if you turn the crank pulley backwards the lower hydraulic tensioner will retract and reveal the chainslack, the upper tensioner is also hydraulic but has a ratchet system inside it which you have to remove to retract it (but you will be able to assess the top chain visually tho)

Back