Replacing rubber gear lever mount

S

Stockwell

Hi all,

Please be patient with me as I'm a newbie and a beginner when it come to working on cars, I can only do very basic stuff at the mo. I've got a 1990 Micra with only 68k, and its recent MOT threw up a bunch of stuff, one of which was that the rubber gear lever mount is badly perished (advisory item). I have some questions if someone more knowledgeable wouldn't mind!

It has been making a kind of grating noise when I pull away in first so is this related?
Where is the best place to get a replacement rubber mount from, and how much can I expect to pay for the part?
How easy/hard a job is it replacing this?

Many thanks, much appreciated.

I got mine from nissan and you beed 2 parts (one for each side) they'tr about £15 each!!!

Easy to replace if the nuts anf bolts under the car are in good nick

this 'could' be the cause of the grating if the grear is only partially engaged due to the dodgy mount

Also have a good look at your rear lower engine mount...if this has gone too it puts exessice strain on your gear rubbers and exhaust mounting rubbers

I've repaired/rebuilt the mounts on my car using polyurenthane body adhesive/sealant. Something like tigerseal or sikaflex does the job and comes in useful for all sorts of things in general. For example sticking fingers to bumpers, sticking fingers to windows, sticking fingers to other fingers, etc. Also can be used to fill that troublesome rear engine mount to stiffen it up a little or repair it.

Back