Renault & Nissan to jump in bed with troubled GM?

GM and FORD more or less own everyone. Eventually you will be either buying a FORD or a GM.

whatever happened to freedom of choice.

This has been knocking around for ages! GM and Renault have business ties going back past the late '70's / early '80's when they tried selling cars in the states and had some cross over tech/sales/manufacturing deals.

Ok, alot has changed since then, but there again, alot has stayed the same. A couple of years ago, Renault anounced it wanted to get back into the US market (I think the next Laguna is the first platform to go there). With Nissan/Infinity over there already, and now Renault/Nissan being one of the only/most profitable manufactures about it puts them in a good position to get a favourable deal and get back in there...

As for the Micra, there'll be a lot of dealers shouting at Nissan if they did drop it, it's their only volume seller thats not a 4x4!!

Ian said:
its not an if. It is getting dropped.

anyone want protest it? :)

maybe they'll give the old molds and shells etc to the MSC and we can make our own :D

NeX said:
anyone want protest it? :)

maybe they'll give the old molds and shells etc to the MSC and we can make our own :D

why? you planning on buying a new micra? you will still have your k11's nobody will take it off you?

the one and only reason i drive a micra is the insurance..i have the money to own a very nice propper car but i cant afford to get it insured.

RIK said:
why? you planning on buying a new micra? you will still have your k11's nobody will take it off you?

the one and only reason i drive a micra is the insurance..i have the money to own a very nice propper car but i cant afford to get it insured.

lol well actually my insurance are trying to take my 1.3 cos they say its a write off even thou its worth more than the cost of the repair because they judge it by 60% of the cost of the car and the 1.6 has fully rusty sills that may be too bad to repair so that might have to be scrapped too :( so yes people and rust are taking my cars lol,

and i wouldn't mind a 160sr :wasntme:

whats wrong with your micra?! a micra is a propper car :p unless you have kids or want to pose...

Proper cars are RWD, 2 doors and no roof. :p

I'll be happy if the micra is dropped completely. It means the resale value on my car will remain stable!

Yom said:
Proper cars are RWD, 2 doors and no roof. :p

I'll be happy if the micra is dropped completely. It means the resale value on my car will remain stable!

ooooh call yourself a micra fan :p

so if i put my engine in the boot and chopped off the roof would that make you happy?

just as a matter of interest Yom, how much is petrol per litre over there at the minute ? Ours is around 93p per litre (A$2.30) just now.

NeX said:
ooooh call yourself a micra fan :p

so if i put my engine in the boot and chopped off the roof would that make you happy?

I like the micra for what it is. And on that note, for what it is, its bloody awesome. haha (reason why I haven't sold it and bought another more powerful car - as much as I miss being able to feel the grunt of a 2.0L in a smallish car the micra is just too cheap and fun to dismiss!!!) But yeh, my reasons above are why I just HAD to get a super s with a sunroof. Couldn't live without one nowdays haha

I pumped 30L of 98RON BP Ultimate into charlotte the other day for $1.35/L

Cheapest its been over the last 2 months was $1.32/L for 98RON, and the most expensive i've seen it in the last 2 months was $1.55/L again for 98RON. Price changes a fair bit all over the country and down south in Sydney I hear that normal 91RON fuel is around $1.30/L on average.

As a general rule, 98RON with no ethanol blend is $0.10 more expensive than 91RON with no ethanol blend.

I have tried some 100RON Shell Optimax Extreme which has 5% ethanol but I couldn't feel a noticeable difference (even after advancing the timing) and so I couldn't justify the extra $0.07 over 98RON the fuel was demanding...

10% ethanol fuels are becoming more common and quite popular due to them being a bit cheaper than normal fuel. I don't mind 5% ethanol as I think it has some nice cleaning properties but any more and I'm worried the car will lean out to the point of detonation. She runs pretty lean as it is...

Thats 53p per litre, damn this countries tax levels, it costs you £22 (A$54) to fill up your tank and it costs us £39 (A$96)

Ian said:
its not an if. It is getting dropped.

So no K13 then? I can understand a replacement model not being built in the UK on the grounds of margin, but it would be odd if they pulled out of the sector completely. I know that Renault have the Clio and the new Twingo will be available in RHD, but I wouldn't have thought they would make Nissan drop Micra completely, even if the replacement is a re-badged Renault, with little new steel.... It's got a good worldwide brand with Micra/March, and part of the groups profitability is making the most of component share - hence niche models like Note! Maybe it'll come from a 3 way platform developed with GM/Daewoo and built out in the far East?

Also, with Renault taking on 4wd platforms from Nissan, they surely can't be re-positioning nissan as a 4x4 brand...

(Oh, part of the original GM deal involved Renault buying Mack trucks and selling building/selling Dodge based commercials)

NeX said:
whats wrong with your micra?! a micra is a propper car :p unless you have kids or want to pose...

because i want to go over 120mph flat out and do a quater mile in less than 12 secs and have a nice looking car that has respect from people as standard without having to tell them how good it is and telling them to read the MSC

and a GTR ticks all the boxes

sonic said:
Thats 53p per litre, damn this countries tax levels, it costs you £22 (A$54) to fill up your tank and it costs us £39 (A$96)

same in spain too..its about the same in cents as it is here in pence

RIK said:
because i want to go over 120mph flat out and do a quater mile in less than 12 secs and have a nice looking car that has respect from people as standard without having to tell them how good it is and telling them to read the MSC

and a GTR ticks all the boxes

same in spain too..its about the same in cents as it is here in pence

fair enough mate :) i'm fine with 120mph :D and i like how the micra looks, but each to their own ;)

NeX said:
fair enough mate :) i'm fine with 120mph :D and i like how the micra looks, but each to their own ;)

There's nothing wrong with the micra. As a piece of transport, its bloody awesome. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and uber reliable. K11 still looks bloody good compared to some of the ugly things sold brand new today...

It is just a random and weird suprise that the K11 seems to like being modded (how many other naturally aspirated 4 cylinders see a 25% power increase with bolt on intake and exhaust mods?

NeX said:
we have two kids and we have two micras. easily fit 3 kids in the back of a micra, even 1 car seat, 1 booster seat and a 15 yr old nephew at a squeeze!!

I dont have any trouble travelling with my brood in the Micra either, its pretty roomy and comfortable. My K10 1l took us all to Ireland last year via the Stranraer ferry, it never missed a beat.

RIK said:
im sure i would rather have a gt-r over a micra thanks :)
Thats what most people say...

...Until they own a GT-R. :p

Biggest money pits ever. hehe but if you have the money - why not?

Back