PistonHeads.com: Six points for speeding

SO that means that the current regime doens't work/isn't an actual deterrant?

I think this is the new tactic for road traffic reduction by stealth.

I could understand this if the aim was clear to make driving safer. But I do have to agree with Ed that this is probably a stealthy way to reduce the amount of road users! I would quite happily use public transport if it were any good! For me to get by work via public transports I have to leave at 6:15 to get there for around 8:15-8:30, where as the drive is 30 - 45 minutes in rush hour! Slightly off topic I know, But I just see this as putting money to the government, money to the DVLA/DSA for re-tests. It's all crap!

I could understand this if the aim was clear to make driving safer. But I do have to agree with Ed that this is probably a stealthy way to reduce the amount of road users! I would quite happily use public transport if it were any good! For me to get by work via public transports I have to leave at 6:15 to get there for around 8:15-8:30, where as the drive is 30 - 45 minutes in rush hour! Slightly off topic I know, But I just see this as putting money to the government, money to the DVLA/DSA for re-tests. It's all crap!

same here I have to leave for work at 5.15 am to drive 30 minutes to work,
the first bus doesn't run until after 7 am from my part of town, if I could use public transport I would, but it's just not practical.

Well 'twon't effect me, 6 points and i get banned anyway, as i haven't passed my test for two years yet.
I only drive to work because of the rubbishness of public transport, cheaper to run a car and drive to work, and quicker as well.
I'm not paying £5.50 for a 10min train journey...

Actually I think the real reason may be different. The 6pts are for speeding 'excessively' i.e. normally you would just be sent to court. This gives them an automated way to deal with the usual court cases thus freeing court time and still hitting the motorist just as hard.

Think it will be rejected, they wanted to do a similar thing last year. It was argued that there giving the impresion its ok to speed a little bit.

Back