PistonHeads.com: Drop a Cog

Despite what petrolhead readers think, saying the driver shouldn't be switching the VDC on and off so many times, i am with the driver on this one. if there is a launch control feature and it needs VDC to be turned off it's certainly not his fault for switching it off to utilise this launch feature.

why have launch control when you dont want people to turn off VDC? mm......

Despite what petrolhead readers think, saying the driver shouldn't be switching the VDC on and off so many times, i am with the driver on this one. if there is a launch control feature and it needs VDC to be turned off it's certainly not his fault for switching it off to utilise this launch feature.

why have launch control when you dont want people to turn off VDC? mm......

cram as many features as you can onto the specs sheet to make the car sound awesome and then put a disclaimer at the bottom saying if you use any of the features then it invalidates the warrenty because the features don't actually work they are just for show lol

If they know its a problem, they shouldn't allow the features to be enabled/disabled!

Nex - i agree that Nissan were probably trying to tick every box by fitting launch control, and Arnold - they obviously know the feature is fine if not abused, hence the wording of the disclaimer...

but come-on!, everyone (should) know that full-throttle launches put a huge load on the transmission etc, and the disclaimer says the VDC shouldnt be turned off "too often", whilst the article says the guy used the launch control feature "several times" - obviously Nissan has decided the (unspecified) number of times this guy turned of the VDC was too many (possibly by checking data from a built-in ecu log), and thus voided his warranty...
(its just a shame we dont know the exact wording of the contract, or how the transmission operates under launch conditions)

if he was using it on the drag strip, then he should have seen it coming.
if he was using it on the streets, then he got what he deserved imo.

moral of this story, if your gonna shell out for a hi-tech toy at least read and understand the instructions.....

It depends on what the possible cause of failure is. More information would be required before an analysis could be conducted and any opinions formed.

As a side note, it does initially seem a little short on Nissan's part with regard to the design. We wouldn't see ABS systems with a disclaimer stating that if you stamp too hard on the brakes and engage the ABS system too many times, this invalidates your warranty and may lead to total brake failure.

I'd like to see photos of a failed box and accertain what the cause of failure was, i.e a fatigue initiated failure.

It depends on what the possible cause of failure is. More information would be required before an analysis could be conducted and any opinions formed.

As a side note, it does initially seem a little short on Nissan's part with regard to the design. We wouldn't see ABS systems with a disclaimer stating that if you stamp too hard on the brakes and engage the ABS system too many times, this invalidates your warranty and may lead to total brake failure.

I'd like to see photos of a failed box and accertain what the cause of failure was, i.e a fatigue initiated failure.

i would have thought it would have ripped the teeth off first gear, that will probably be where the weakness is,

the launch control feature was discovered by an american magazine that "accidentaly found that the launch control took another .6 seconds off the 0-60 time"
they did this by turning off the VDC (something that nissan told them not to do) and setting off in "second gear"
im assuming that with it being a DSG style twin clutch arangement setting off in second gear at full throttle in a car that weighs over 2 tones and 4wd with 480bhp~ somethings gonna break. but they did say even on the test video that the launch control system, although available, was a side effect of the massive torque available and the effectiveness of the traction control.

thie launch control was not a feature thats "on the specs sheet" as it was purely a side effect...

stupid ######.... imagine if "a new diesel car owner found that by setting off in second gear and slipping the clutch you could accelerate quicker" then took it to the dealer and told them the gearbox or clutch was knakered..... what would they say?

I supose such features are available for people wanting to use them on tracks, where cars are bound to get damaged, torn and worn, and im sure if everytime something went wrong with a GT-R being used on a track and they tried to fix it using their warranty, Nissan would go bust pretty quick.

Nissan make cars for roads (albeit fast cars), they can't support everyone that wants to race

Back