PistonHeads.com: Britain's roads will get darker

Seems as stupid as the story about NHS hospitals removing lightbulbs to cut costs.

If they start turning lights out, you can just see crime shooting up, aswell as accidents. I mean, lights are on roads for a reason. Besides, we pay tax & council tax which should fund things like this anyway, so why do they think they cant afford to run them? It's coming out our pocket.

I still agree, I hate driving on unlit sections of motorway now, especially after what happened in September (that was an unlit section)

In fact in my personal opinion, I believe the whole of the UK motorway network should be lit!

Why? whats wrong with those things on the front of your car, you know, you flick a switch and it's like two mini suns? Oh yeah.... Lights!

I can understand where ur coming from james but I don't think we're missing out on anything.

You can't tell me visibility isn't reduced on an unlit road, there's only so much standard headlights can do! They can't provide light from above you that's for sure.

You can't tell me visibility isn't reduced on an unlit road, there's only so much standard headlights can do! They can't provide light from above you that's for sure.

Add torrential rain into the equasion and it just makes things even worse. Headlights do have there limits. There are alot of people out there who cant drive in the dark as it is.

Drivning with main beam on unlit roads is great, trouble is there will be plenty of other people using the road to so using main beam wont be possible. The reduction of visibily will be a problem to.

Why turn them off when there are more efficient street lights available using less power to produce more light. A better designed light would be better still, one that directs more light onto the road than into the sky.

Back