PistonHeads.com: £2k Scrappage Scheme Launched In Budget

Great,

what a gimmick.

that fuel tax thing is predictable, but its not like they dont already tax the crap out of us on it anyway is it?

but oh well, nothing we can really do to change it. Even if we reelected another party, they would have to impose similar things because there is no way the R word is going to go away :(

I expect the petrol companies to put up the price of Fuel by 3p within the next couple of days for the summer season, then a penny rise every month until the next budget which will probably take the price over and up to £1.10 a litre or thereabouts...back to where we were a couple of months ago.....:glare:

Great! Buy a £100 crap car and get a £2000 discount on a car that could end up polluting more! :rolleyes:

In addition, how many people who actually own 10 year old cars are looking to buy a brand new 09 reg car? :rolleyes:

The two grand you get for buying a new car is immediately lost in depreciation, along with several other thousand when it's driven off the forecourt. I will never buy a new car! Stupidly higher tax & servicing costs too, as they all have to be done at the dealers to keep the warranty's etc etc.

I wouldn't mind having £2000 if it meant getting rid of the backlog of 2nd hand cars that are already cluttering up this country. Get rid of the Car manufacturing and concentrate on making parts for cars that are still going.

I wouldn't mind having £2000 if it meant getting rid of the backlog of 2nd hand cars that are already cluttering up this country. Get rid of the Car manufacturing and concentrate on making parts for cars that are still going.

What backlog of second hand cars?

I guess he means backlog of new, unsold cars?

FWIW, I am slightly interested in this scheme. *braces*

this is so dumb.

why does this not apply to eco friendly cars? does it have something to do with the rise in fuel tax? first get everyone to buy a bigger, newer car and distroy all the retro, easy to repair and maintain ones, then add more tax to the extra fuel they have to buy for their new bigger car.

if you are crazy and paranoid like me, it seems like this recession has been engineered so that they can do stupid things like cut interest rates and increase taxes, i am not seeing anything getting better, but i am seeing my already tiny amount of money getting even smaller.

i agree nex bud lol , money is going no where fast atm!and something that you all have miss heard

DID YOU KNOW ITS NOT 2K PER OLD CAR?lol its up to 2k!so fat chance you will get that much eh

Nex I am crazy and paranoid as well. I think the recession was engineered, but lets not go there :) This scheme seems great. Except, we won't be getting more small fuel efficient cars on the road. People will use the 2k to buy the bigger heavier, more dangerous model up. We should be driving small light, fuel efficient, strong cars. Instead people go out and buy tanks.

The government have the worst balance of payments for a long long time. How are they going to pay for this? Why now? Why should people who can afford to waste money on a new car, get £2k in their back pocket, when other less well off motorists are struggling with rising fuel costs, increasing cameras and decreasing free parking? They claim the British car industry has been a great success story. I think the opposite. It has been a massive failure. All of those £2k's the government dish out, where will they go? Into jobs in british factories? maybe, into developing green technologies? maybe, out of the economy and into foreign banks: definitely.

this is all about the rich.... AGIAN.

they are giving money to those people who allready have money and spitting on all of those who havent got any.

think about it..

if you are the owner of a 10 year old car that is worth less than £2000 would you not have bought a much newer car if you could afford it?

what difference is it going to make to you if you are given £2000 for your car? you still have to find another £7000+ from some where. and if you do actualy buy your car it will be worth 40% less than you payed for it after just 1000 miles.

so who does it bennefit?

car companies..... scrap merchants and oil barrons.

the little guy still gets a kick in the teeth at having to buy second hand.

Back