oils & liquids!

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
Here's a random question for clever people!

What kinds of oils, coolant, brake fluid and whatever else there is, should i put in my 96 K11 Lx? - just so it can run its best!

Seems a dumb question, but it remains a mystery to me!

Thanks in advance,

beth

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Gee pegs, "how long is a piece of string"? Go for good name brands in the fluids to the specifications shown in the owners manual.Change all the filters with every service, it's cheap insurance for your engine.
Change the gearbox oil at least once every five yrs or 100,000k's and put in the Nulon gearbox additive as well.
I have religiously done my services every 10,000K from new.

Mychael

smidge

» CMF Member
Mobil Synth S for engine
Nulon Dot 4 brake fluid
Multitrax or Syntrax Gear oil + Nulon N70 additive
Coolant - Good quaity complete fill solution, Castrol or Similar make a good one

CMF_Nudger

» CMF Member
Beth

You will need to take the old oil (fluid etc) out first.

changing the engine oil is a easy job as is the coolant for the radiator... Brake fluid and gear box changes are a little more time consuming and you really need to know what you are doing especially with the brake fluid.

Engine: change oil every 5,000 to 10,000 km depending on driving conditions, engine specs (turbo) etc... Change your oil filter every 10,000 it sits on the back-side of the motor by the fire wall.

N

CMF_jay85

» CMF Member
i would suggest cleaning the throttle body as well at intervals. use carby clean. seen as how this has kind of turned into a service thing. they get a build up of carbon... you will be surprised hom much better they run after this
just not it will be difficult to start after doing this but once it does and clears the excess carby clean out its back to being smooth

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Well that's bad news for me then :( Just put some Fuchs Super GTO 10W-30 into my engine tonight.. Hadn't quite understood the difference between the different grades but a mate said that the 10W-30 would be fine.. Better than fine in fact. I hadn't taken the climate changes into account for choosing oils.

Should I be worried?

---dens

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
you guys sure do pamper your cars! my old super s (132000mls, of which i did 80 in 7 yrs) had 2 oil+filter+plug changes and nothing else,and when i stripped it for spare parts, chain, crankpins etc looked really good! these k11 engines are so well put together! (dont take any of this as advice! i just run my car on a shoestring budget)

CMF_MacGillaZ

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:
Hadn't quite understood the difference between the different grades but a mate said that the 10W-30 would be fine.. Better than fine in fact. <BR>
<BR>
Should I be worried?<BR>
<BR>
---dens

Is a 10W-30 too thin a viscosity oil for high ambient temperature operation?

Thicker viscosity oils are not always necessarily better since in addition to its' various engine lubrication functions, an oil must also effectively transfer heat. Only about 60% of an engines cooling is performed by the engine coolant, and only on the upper half of the engine. The remaining 40% of an engines cooling is performed mainly by the engine oil.

Although a vehicle that is recommended to use a 30 weight oil can also use a 40 weight oil, it is usually not needed (yes I know both 30 & 40s are in the micra manual). You will gain absolutely no benefit from using a thicker viscosity oil if it is not needed . I suggest a 40 weight oil in a normal car if the engine is excessively worn and consumes oil at a higher than normal rate (neither of which is your car Dens) OR if the vehicle is being used for very severe duty, high load, high temperature applications (ie track days, but again, your likely to be doing a fresh change b4 this or right after anyway so you can see what the response is anyway).

I prefer to personally try out different brands when it comes service time, and will continue using the same one if I find it's a good performer. You can get an idea of what another brand/spec is like from someone else's experience, but no engine/gearbox/cooling system is the same, and what works for others might not be suitable to you. Mind you if multiple people tell you to stay away from something, its best to give it a miss ;)

CMF_Xalelexx

» CMF Member
Hey I didn't get an owner's manual when I got my March, is there anywhere online its available? I'm also curious about various fluid and other specs that nissan suggest a that March owner maintain ^_^

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Ok...

Engine Oil. Basically any modern oil will do. 10w40 if its not using more than half of the level on the dipstick inbetween changes. If it uses more, move up to something like a 10w50. Thats what is recommended for australia's temperature range. Common misconception is that you get more protection the thicker you go.. Quite simply, you don't.

Gearbox oil. Again, any modern oil will do. I had bad results with Castrol VMX80 (as have a few other members). Its actually slightly too thin, the recommended oil is around a 75w90. No point going thicker if you've got synchro problems - that will make it worse. Also with bearing noise, nothing you can no oil will change the fact that youve got worn bearings!

Power steering oil - Dextron III fluid will do.

Brake fluid - DOT 3 is what its designed to run on. Buy that, or the DOT4 compatible fluid (i think itsDOT4.5 or something). Don't mix and match fluids nor should go to the newer silicone based fluid (its not compatible).

Auto transmission - normal slushbox type, Dextron III is fine. If its CVT, alot of people will tell you not to touch it. From what I understand, this is a good idea you should follow.

Thats from what I remember of the Nissan handbook. And last I checked, they engineered the car so I guess they know whats best.

Enjoy your k11.

Back