Odd rattling sound (from the Micra 2 Mongolia guys)

James

Chairman
Just got this text from them:
"Question for the MSC! We've got a rattling that sounds like marbles in a jug, it's got gradually louder but only starts at 37mph and goes really quiet at 50! Apart from that she purrs like honey. Reckon we'll make it!? About 2500 miles to go... If it's bad don't tell me! Dan, 20k past Omsk."

Come on you K10 techies, do the MSC proud! :)

James.

Edit: Got another one back: "If anyone wants to sponsor us they can at www.justgiving.com/micratomongolia lol, worth a try!"

That could be an awful lot of things:
- Really harsh knocking, but weird that it would happen at that speed range only.
- CV joints on the driveshafts
- Engine mounts causing general shaking
- Exhaust heat shield rattling
- Any number of things.

Needs a bit more info really.

I'll try and get some more info, but with them being in the middle of nowhere (somewhere between Mongolia and Kazakstan) their phone may be out of range now...

Never mind, phone just said "Message delivered" :)

OK we have a bit more:

"I know nothing about cars, just rely on my lucky pants [that made me chuckle -J] but i guess it comes from just in front of the drivers footwell and at its worst you can feel vibrations through the accelerator pedal. It's also far worse when you take your foot off the gas, quieter when accelerating. I'm pretty clueless hey!"

my driveshaft was like that when we took it off the cage had shattered a bit and a bearing was missing if this helps?

i don't know my k10s but i'd check the dampeners on the front cat, if a k10 has one...

i don't think it's serious... the worst that could happen is they loose the exhaust but then their micra would sound phatt and go like a b*tch :)

they might want to give the wheel nuts a tighten or change the wheel in case it's off balance.

but if it's a bering or shaft problem then they'll be quite literally shafted!!

keep us up to date ;)

just read it again sounds alot like shot berings... not good, or posibly a warped brake disk?

we should ship them out a new shaft lol

sounds like a bearing to me..

If they can put up with the noise it should hold up..

ID advise them to grease up anything they can see is DRY or WORN or seems excessivly hot efter use. Anything except engine itself, exhaust and radiator ..

If they can hear a 'sizzling' noise after they stop the car and turn the engine off.. Then they should grease it up..

all except brake disc of course..

kristian

kristian said:
sounds like a bearing to me..

If they can put up with the noise it should hold up..

ID advise them to grease up anything they can see is DRY or WORN or seems excessivly hot efter use. Anything except engine itself, exhaust and radiator ..

If they can hear a 'sizzling' noise after they stop the car and turn the engine off.. Then they should grease it up..

all except brake disc of course..

kristian

in short lube everything up :p you do like youre lube dont you lol

James said:
OK we have a bit more:

"I know nothing about cars, just rely on my lucky pants [that made me chuckle -J] but i guess it comes from just in front of the drivers footwell and at its worst you can feel vibrations through the accelerator pedal. It's also far worse when you take your foot off the gas, quieter when accelerating. I'm pretty clueless hey!"

Like everyone says, sounds like the CV joint. Everything gets rammed into place when you accelerate, curing the rattling. When you come off the gas, both parts are rotating at almost the same speed, you get a rattle.

It could be serious, it could be minor. If the cage is smashed, it will ruin the joint very quickly. If it's just wear and tear, then it could last another 5k miles. Check to see if the boot is split, grease it. If you don't know what you are doing, it is a pain to fix.

Did it come on suddenly or get gradually worse? That points to either the cage or a bearing failing, or wear and tear, respectively.

OK, a compilation of the above posts have been texted to them, I'm sure they'll be very grateful for your inputs :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep you up to date,
James :)

hehe, taken from the website

We're in touch with the micra sports club UK if we choose their worst prognosis so far she's still got a few thousand miles in her. No worries...

Back