not fully warmed...no idle

CMF_CENTI

» CMF Member
cranked my car in the morning, let it idled for about a minute then drove off, within the next kilometer or two, the engine cuts off every time I step on the clutch to change gear...what explains this? but if i just leave the car on idle, it just continuosly purrs and not cut off and the idle is fine...

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
I had an issue where even when no load (sitting stopped) I start the car, clutch in, as soon as it was in any gear, idle would be erratic. It was one of the 2 sensors on the gearbox that had died. Never stalled though, would just idle all over the place.
Perhaps try unplugging the gearbox sensors one at a time and seeing if this changes the fault.. Or it is a vacuum leak. :)

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
I'd say from experience its its a common problem caused by series of events:
1. old seized coldstart waxstat mechanism stuck in fast idle mode when warmed up so...
2. idle speed bleed screw is usually tightened too much to compensate, which makes it cold idle or coasting down in neutral rev too low/stall if...
3. IAVs sticking/misadjusted so the ecu can't electronically control the idle airflow enough hence the idle's too low or irratic

so solution is to remove the faulty waxstat mechanism, clean & align the IAV, adjust the idle screw till it warm idles at 750rpm and cold idles at 1300rpm

wrote a guide bout it on my blog page 19 post 908
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-19

Back