Rough / No Idle on MA10

So my beloved K10 has started to play up, from cold i can drive to work, have it fully up to temp, idles nice at junctions, i get to work where its left for 10 mins, i then restart and it just won't idle, then its fine again that night, will drive home ok, then yeah leave it 10 mins, won't idle. Now it just won't idle at all, been using the handbrake to compensate for the gas, if i hold the revs steady then ease it off it will idle, but its very lumpy, sometimes just goes out after a while. Been told it's the carb but i have no idea where id get one these days, it's had a new dizzy / leads / plugs etc

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! (Y)

Cheers

Dan

So my beloved K10 has started to play up, from cold i can drive to work, have it fully up to temp, idles nice at junctions, i get to work where its left for 10 mins, i then restart and it just won't idle, then its fine again that night, will drive home ok, then yeah leave it 10 mins, won't idle. Now it just won't idle at all, been using the handbrake to compensate for the gas, if i hold the revs steady then ease it off it will idle, but its very lumpy, sometimes just goes out after a while. Been told it's the carb but i have no idea where id get one these days, it's had a new dizzy / leads / plugs etc

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! (Y)

Cheers

Dan

I may have a spare carb!
Also coil pack may give running issues mine had a tiny crack near the connectors and as soon as it was a little moist outside blam! No spark if I did get it running it would be horrid! Started of running rough then developed over the months
They can be got for -£20 to a ridiculous quote for £75 my trade discount sorted that though ;)

I'll have the throttle speed screw checked again! The coil pack and alternator were changed last year! If you do have a spare carb going then i'd be very interested in buying it off you! (Y) Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Dan

I'll have the throttle speed screw checked again! The coil pack and alternator were changed last year! If you do have a spare carb going then i'd be very interested in buying it off you! (Y) Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Dan

I've got an ma10 and ma12 carb but they're both fitted to the engines but if there's no difference between them I'll remove one as I can still use one on the ma12

Fuel treatment, a service, and a good 30min run on the motorway will clear it out. If you change the carb make sure you buy new gaskets and change them too or it'll start leaking extra air into the mixture, or letting coolant get sucked into the engine. I've had that happen to me because i didn't change the gaskets and it was a complete cow to try and drive it.

Have you checked all those small vacume pipes under the carb if ones split it will not idle too well

also did you get a new rota arm with the new dizzy cap these are cheap (£7) :)

just as a free check, check all the fuses, and also check that there is a definite click coming from the carb when the ignition switch is turned on.

i never used new gaskets, just blue hylomar, never had a leak yet.

One vaccum pipe was partly out but it's not made any difference being back in, erm im not sure what you mean by a click on the carb? Im sure it had a new arm when the dizzy was changed. Its starting to miss alot on the starter, just screams at me lol It's my bro thats the mechanic, id imagine he's looked at all these, he took it too work with him and everyone there went for the change carb option!

Dan

Just been out to her for a good root round, starts first time as always, revs like a dream, just dies on me. :( maybe it's time for it to go.

Just been out to her for a good root round, starts first time as always, revs like a dream, just dies on me. :( maybe it's time for it to go.

just test a new carb mate dont give up on her yet!

problem with micras is that cos there cheap people give up on them so quick

im using the term maybe very loosely, i got her in '02 with the intention of keeping her for a year, i fell in love with her tho. Much like mans best friend, it might smell and have a dodgy hip but you could never put it down. I just hate to see her grounded, she should be out and about, nudging a ton down the A1. It's also my work horse, when i get a truck sorted im going to retire her, have some plans that involve nato green paint from the army surplus and if it would fit, a T5 engine from my other motor.

Dan

Just adjust the screw at the end of the throttle linkage on the carb until it idles. even a bit fast is better than no idle. lumpy or no idle could be many things :(

dirt in carb blocking the jets, carb needle valve sticking, fuel pump dodgy, fuel filter partly blocked, engine overheating, fuel tank filler vent blocked.

Back