• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Nissan temperature warning light and interior doesn't get warm.

Hi - this is probably a common problem, but would like advice please. I have a 2008 Micra Visia. recently the heater stops blowing warm air into the cabin, once the engine has warmed up. In addition, the red temperature warning light comes on and off. The temperature indicator light. I had a chat with a mechanic who said that the problem was coolant related. I tried topping up the coolant and this has had a small but positive effect on the frequency of the red warning light but no effect on fan temperature, which is still cold. The coolant compartment now seems fullish. I think that hte two are part of the same problem. I wonder what could be the matter and am seeking some advice, please?

Wise choice to burp the air out if some is present in the system, if that has little effect to inside cabin heat. Could also try flush the system out.
its an probably an air lock if you have had to top it up.

Wise choice to burp the air out if some is present in the system, if that has little effect to inside cabin heat. Could also try flush the system out.
its an probably an air lock if you have had to top it up.
Hi - thanks for your reply, but as I am a relative novice, how do you 'burp' the air out please? Thanks in expectation.

You need to make sure the A/C is off, the heater is turned to max ON, remove the pressure cap of the top up tank, start the engine and leave to tick over till the engine gets up to temperature. You can try squeezing the large radiator hoses to expel any trapped in them. My worry would be why you have had to top up, what is a sealed system, with so much coolant in the first place, where has it gone? I have had my K12 for over 7 years and 50 thousand miles and have probably never put more than about half a litre of coolant in it, between coolant changes... Your coolant has obviously leaked out somewhere... :0(

You need to make sure the A/C is off, the heater is turned to max ON, remove the pressure cap of the top up tank, start the engine and leave to tick over till the engine gets up to temperature. You can try squeezing the large radiator hoses to expel any trapped in them. My worry would be why you have had to top up, what is a sealed system, with so much coolant in the first place, where has it gone? I have had my K12 for over 7 years and 50 thousand miles and have probably never put more than about half a litre of coolant in it, between coolant changes... Your coolant has obviously leaked out somewhere... :0(
Many thanks. I will give that a go. No leaks as far as I can see - I only had to add about 500ml coolant to get it really full.

When it's been refilled after a service the level can drop due to air being trapped.
I had to top mine up as was advised to check and top up as needed.

You can also check if mixing with the engine oil. This might appear on the oil cap and look like mayo.
But if you do short journeys can also indicate condensation.
I was worried mine was mixing with the oil at first but later learned that it was just condensation as I do short distance travel. And have not had any loss of coolant.

Many thanks. I will give that a go. No leaks as far as I can see - I only had to add about 500ml coolant to get it really full.
If you have the same coolant tank as mine I hope you didn't fill it 'full', as the 'max' level can be seen at the back of the tank and is about level with the slam plate... You can see the correct level that mine is filled to...

Attachments

• K12 Under bonnet latest.jpg
    K12 Under bonnet latest.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
If you have the same coolant tank as mine I hope you didn't fill it 'full', as the 'max' level can be seen at the back of the tank and is about level with the slam plate... You can see the correct level that mine is filled to...
Hi John - thanks for your response, but my engine does not look like that, unfortunately. The engine is a CR =12HE. I may have overfilled the reserve tank, however.

When it's been refilled after a service the level can drop due to air being trapped.
I had to top mine up as was advised to check and top up as needed.

You can also check if mixing with the engine oil. This might appear on the oil cap and look like mayo.
But if you do short journeys can also indicate condensation.
I was worried mine was mixing with the oil at first but later learned that it was just condensation as I do short distance travel. And have not had any loss of coolant.
Thanks Sparky - no mayo like appearance in the oil reservoir.

Back