New to Micra. Track tool

Been scratching my head for a while about what car to get for a cheap, reliable, lightweight track tool and having done a little research and looking at pics on Google images i love the idea of a road legal track micra. My aim is for 750KG and a reliable 120bhp+.

My budget would be 1k for the car itself and another 3k for the bits. Im handy myself around a car so there wont be any labour costs just parts. Kind of thing i was thinking was a complete strip, polly windows, homemade cage, coils,lightweight alloys and the GA16DE conversion with fast cams/exhaust/map.

Is my budget realistic and the weight loss figures? Is there better ways and more interesting ways of getting the power i want? i dont want a massive weight penalty though. What alloys and tyres are prefered on these micras for handling aswell. I've got some old MGB Rostyles kicking around at home, i seem to think that these fit. Any pics of some fitted? I know a lot of questions. Cheers for any help.

Banded steels, be alot lighter than alloy, look better and much cheaper to replace too. personally i wouldnt go above 7'' and probably 6'' is plenty wide enough. Stick with 13'' rims, will keep acceleration sharp. For tyres, id recommend yokohama A048's in a medium compound, someone else will surely have an alternative. If i was in your shoes i would buy a 1.3, and spend a good bit of my budget getting it to handle 100%, power is nothing without control ;). Get the handling right first and then worry about extracting power, although a good exhaust system would certainly be a good first investment. Weight wise, 750kgs would surely be easy enough to achieve as long as your not too worried about creature comforts..lol.
Frank here would be best to answer questions about reliable power, i would say 120bhp is a tad optimistic with your budget on the cg13 but i cant see why a good 90-100bhp cant be as much fun in a great handling track car. GA16 is cast block i think, extra weight means more problems

Banded steels, be alot lighter than alloy, look better and much cheaper to replace too. personally i wouldnt go above 7'' and probably 6'' is plenty wide enough. Stick with 13'' rims, will keep acceleration sharp. For tyres, id recommend yokohama A048's in a medium compound, someone else will surely have an alternative. If i was in your shoes i would buy a 1.3, and spend a good bit of my budget getting it to handle 100%, power is nothing without control ;). Get the handling right first and then worry about extracting power, although a good exhaust system would certainly be a good first investment. Weight wise, 750kgs would surely be easy enough to achieve as long as your not too worried about creature comforts..lol.
Frank here would be best to answer questions about reliable power, i would say 120bhp is a tad optimistic with your budget on the cg13 but i cant see why a good 90-100bhp cant be as much fun in a great handling track car. GA16 is cast block i think, extra weight means more problems
but you are saying that ga16 will be more problem :) but if her want more than 120 hp then 1.6 would be better :) because it will be more power for a smaller shell so if he strips the car clean then it would reach around 750kg :)

are you planning a turbo ?

More weight over front wheels= understeer, not ideal in a track car. Its only my own opinion that sticking with a cg13 would be a good idea, everyone is different and will all have different ideas...thats why we have forums like this ;)

MGB Rostyles won't fit... I've got Vauxhall ones for mine, fit perfect as same PCD (4x100). First picture is a photoshop I did to see how the wheels would look on with some drop... other pics are my actual wheels test fitted...
lows_03.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

Only reason why i ask about the Rostyles is that when i was looking at replacing the wheels on my MGB track car i read somewhere that earlier nissanshad the same PCD. Dont know how early etc didnt really look that far into it.How much of a weight penalty has the 1.6 got over the 1.3? Im completly stripping the car so i dont want to much weight over the front as i dont want to throw the weight distribution off too much.

Are 13's the wheels of choice then? surely banded steels weigh more than lightweight alloys?

Ive read the 1.3s are reliable but how much can they be pushed and stay reliable? i wanting a car that i can do multiple track days and dont have to do much maintenance. Lets say just a winter rebuild being required.

The plan is to fully sort out the interior and handling before any engine work. if i write off the engine change i might look down the supercharger route if i get carried away lol.

one of my main drives for this project is a friend who is a bit of a blue oval fiend and is throwing alot of money at a mk5 fiesta and i want to show him with a bit of forward thinking, wise spending and a proper set up something like a little underpowered micra will run circles round him. I also live down the road from silverstone so rude not to sort a track car out.

His plans are for a full strip etc, uber expensive suspension set up and a 2.3T out of a Mazda 3 MPS. He reckons he going to get his weight down to 750kg but it weighs about 1000kg as standard and the engine must weigh a shed load over the 1.6 hes taking out but i cant find any figures on the weight of the mazda lump so i think hes living in cuckoo land. Its going to be a reet understeering monster and a right handful. Just want to wipe his smile of his face getting overtaken on the outside of a corner in a micra.

Why dont you do what im doing :) Got a Cga3de engine (roughly 85bhp standard) put some cams on it, exhaust manifold, decat, and throttle bodies.....should be reliable and not too expensive :)

Old British classics & old Jap cars used to have the same PCD, forget what it is but whatever the MG is... Now they're 4x100 & have been for some time... Pretty much anything off a 4stud Vauxhall should fit... Hope that helps?

Back