Strut Nut Tool?

Guys,

Im in the middle of fitting some 35mm drop springs onto my 1999 Facelift K11. The issue is with the recessed strut nuts the Haynes manual says that you may need a special dealer tool to remove them and low and behold I can't undo it for love nor money. All the happens is the nut just spins around.

Where can I get this tool from? My local Nissan dealer looked at me as if I had dropped out of a dogs bottom when I asked them, is there something else I can use?

Thanks for any help chaps!

joshbl

Site Supporter
I had exactly the same. Halfords sell a spanner that looks like the one shown. Or if you happen to have an old spanner, clamp and blow torch like i did, you can bend one to fit. Pain in the arse those things. really helps to have two people aswell

Attachments

• Ring-Spanner-Recessed-Pattern-.jpg
    Ring-Spanner-Recessed-Pattern-.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 394
Guys,

Im in the middle of fitting some 35mm drop springs onto my 1999 Facelift K11. The issue is with the recessed strut nuts the Haynes manual says that you may need a special dealer tool to remove them and low and behold I can't undo it for love nor money. All the happens is the nut just spins around.

Where can I get this tool from? My local Nissan dealer looked at me as if I had dropped out of a dogs bottom when I asked them, is there something else I can use?

Thanks for any help chaps!

None of the swan necks I can find have been deep enough to do the job. Halfords were very helpful (for once!) but failed to supply anything of use im kind of back to square one. I did weld myself a makeshift tool but that still didn't work.

Im not letting this defeat me cos when I get it sorted it is technically quite a simple job to fit the drop springs.

How many times does not having the right tools slow down an otherwise straight forward job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stani1029

Club Member
Mate i think the swan necks fit better when you remove the first part of the top mount. Theres two hooks at the tips but a flat head screwdriver in and pop it off

i just bang on the spring compressors then mole grip the very top of the damper rod, underneath the top cap. comes off dead simple with a basic long socket.

once the spring is compressed enough, the nut is easy to remove, 24lb ft if i remember...

hi managed to get the nut off;) when putting on the new lowered springs do they need to go on a certain way both ends look the same,also when doing the rears do you have to remove the rear shocks from the car or just undo the bottom nuts on the shock then lower the axle tube do I need to use spring clamps on the rears.

cheers