New Car, New Club, New Community, New Advice - Nice to Meet'cha

Hey guys, first and foremost.. I'm Charles, I come from Colchester in Essex. My previous cars have been 2 Saxo VTR's a Saxo VTS, Fiat Punto GT and a Rover 416 SLi.

I've just picked up this little Micra and fancy a bit of low-key modding.

I plan to do the following to start with:

• Remove all plastics (doors/front bumper/rear bumper)
  • De-Badge (Front/Back)
  • Remove Rear Seats
  • Alloys/Tyres
  • Fit my Sub-Woofer
  • Buckets
  • Halo/Angel Eyes
  • Lowering 30/40mm
Colchester-20130722-00096_zps06d93661.jpg

Colchester-20130722-00099_zps338606a3.jpg

Colchester-20130722-00095_zps3c61a6b6.jpg

Any suggestions in the direction of ease-of-doing/products/guides?

I don't mind it taking a little time. It'll be worth it in the end I'm sure.

Regards,
Charles

Regards,
Charles

Coming from a Saxo, anyhting is an upgrade ;)

Welcome,. look forward to seeing some updates

What alloys were you looking at?

Ahaha, I was in love with Saxo's other than one slight problem ........ French. (Apologies to any French members).

Haven't even begun to look. Was thinking the Rover's 15's might go on for the time being ;) (I have no idea as of yet) .. Suggestions?

Also the bumpstrips, I don't suppose you know how they're fastened on do you? I'm hoping to do a little bit when I leave the office at 5. So any small mods that can be done (max. 4 hours) - let me know!

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to being part of the community.

Ahaha, I was in love with Saxo's other than one slight problem ........ French. (Apologies to any French members).

Haven't even begun to look. Was thinking the Rover's 15's might go on for the time being ;) (I have no idea as of yet) .. Suggestions?

Also the bumpstrips, I don't suppose you know how they're fastened on do you? I'm hoping to do a little bit when I leave the office at 5. So any small mods that can be done (max. 4 hours) - let me know!

Just a gluey adhesive. Should gently pull away then use a toffee wheel / WD40 / polish / petrol to get the residue off.

Can also use floss behind the strip to 'cut' the adhesive

Was thinking the Rover's 15's might go on for the time being ;)
Centre bore is too small... I almost found out the very hard way at a young age knowing nothing about wheels. The pcd was right and I was happy until they vibrated the nuts off... got home to be able to undo the remaining wheel nuts by hand

At least the crumple zones aren't your shins like saxos though
Welcome to the decent cars ;) and the msc :)
Taa, thankfully I never had to experience the shin smashing crumple zones :p

Im pretty sure the grey bit on the bumpers dont come off (correct me if im wrong). Best bet would be to colour code them.

Andy

Unfortunately you are right Andy. Much to my dismay .... TBH. Shouldn't be that bad a job other than the fact I've never sprayed before. Meh ... Masking tape to the max I assume. Could deffinately get messy!

Centre bore is too small... I almost found out the very hard way at a young age knowing nothing about wheels. The pcd was right and I was happy until they vibrated the nuts off... got home to be able to undo the remaining wheel nuts by hand
Well like they say, you only learn from your mistakes eh. I'll take your advice and learn from yours though tbh.. Don't fancy having my wheels smashed to smithoreens.

Spacers or open it up with a flap wheel
When you say spacers.. are we talking universal fits or are these specifics (excuse my stupidity sir). Also, a "Flap Wheel" .. Is this the blieter in question?
http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=B/DX34036&incvat&gclid=CIq2gM6f8rgCFXLLtAodQlAAyQ

Universal spacers will just to get tge centre bore off the spigot of the hub. Between 5-8mm should do it... problem being thats then 5-8mm less thread to bolt your wheels on. In terms of thread that's alot. Then we look at extended studs etc. But by this point in time it'd be cheaper to get some wheels off eBay :)

Uh oh! Every now and then when I turn the key up to ignition the "Engine Check" light flickers. The engine will then not start. I turn it off, take the key out. Turn it again and the light doesn't flicker thus starts. What could this be? Has anyone had this problem before?

Regards,

I've started to pull away the adhesive residue from the bumper strips now. I must say.. it's some bloody strong stuff .. 45 Minutes elbow grease, petrol and polish.. Still hardly touched it haha. I reckon 2 weeks it'll all be off. Just going to do it every evening for an hour or so. It'll come away soon enough. By god it'll be worth it I'm sure. :p

P.S: Does anyone have a link to some white 5 spoke 15's that they'd recommend? P.s whats the widest you can go? 170/175?

Headlights that don't point ahead? How very strange.. ;)

What alternatives are there? (If any)..

Whats the most common modification re front/rear lights??

The lights are made for LHD drive cars, thus point wrong direction.

For the gluey residue try nail varnish remover.... Made it come of easier for me

The lights are made for LHD drive cars, thus point wrong direction.

For the gluey residue try nail varnish remover.... Made it come of easier for me

Ah really. I'll give it a go later if I can rob the girlfriend/mother's make-up drawer.

Where did you order your mud flaps? Were they a straight fit or was there some alt's needed?

Need a red set (x4) and was wondering if any were better than others?

Thanks in advance.

I've started to pull away the adhesive residue from the bumper strips now. I must say.. it's some bloody strong stuff .. 45 Minutes elbow grease, petrol and polish.. Still hardly touched it haha. I reckon 2 weeks it'll all be off. Just going to do it every evening for an hour or so. It'll come away soon enough. By god it'll be worth it I'm sure. :p

P.S: Does anyone have a link to some white 5 spoke 15's that they'd recommend? P.s whats the widest you can go? 170/175?

I took mine off yesterday be VERY careful I took the paint off when I scrubbed to hard with at abrasive washing up sponge... £160 later an my mates uncle will respray it. After I F*cked a bit of the paint I grabbed the hair dryer and rubbed it off 5 blisters later but they won't cost £160 to fix :) good luck buddy.

K K K K Kamarley!!

I took mine off yesterday be VERY careful I took the paint off when I scrubbed to hard with at abrasive washing up sponge... £160 later an my mates uncle will respray it. After I F*cked a bit of the paint I grabbed the hair dryer and rubbed it off 5 blisters later but they won't cost £160 to fix :) good luck buddy.

K K K K Kamarley!!

One to add to my list of Paranoia ;) Should be fine tbh .. Just going at it a little at a time being careful not to "scrub to hard" Haha.

Can also buy a toffee wheel that removes the residue

I picture in my mind something at a summer Fayre when you say a "toffee wheel". Haha.

One to add to my list of Paranoia ;) Should be fine tbh .. Just going at it a little at a time being careful not to "scrub to hard" Haha.

I picture in my mind something at a summer Fayre when you say a "toffee wheel". Haha.
I used a toffee wheel and a lint free rag with some Auto Glym resin polish. Worked wonders.

This is how mine turned out (paranoia alert!) ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376346431.284138.jpg
as you can see I learnt my lesson pretty early on, never again tho :) just stay away from anything abrasive, think of your paint work as your genitalia you wouldn't start rubbing it back with sand paper.... So don't attack your paint work
(Obviously I have very itchy gens) still kicking myself :'(

K K K K Kamarley!!

You can certainly have that done in some places in the world, the sandpaper thing that is :eek: - but - my lips are sealed.
OH!!! alright then ...... Germany .

This is how mine turned out (paranoia alert!) ;) View attachment 24801 as you can see I learnt my lesson pretty early on, never again tho :) just stay away from anything abrasive, think of your paint work as your genitalia you wouldn't start rubbing it back with sand paper.... So don't attack your paint work
(Obviously I have very itchy gens) still kicking myself :'(

K K K K Kamarley!!

LOLing so hard in the office right now... I came in to find email alerts to this page.. Before I'd even picked up a file to work on I had talks of abrasive papers on genital areas.. It's going to be one hell of a day, thats for sure haha!

Re your attempt to remove the bump strip. Have you finished it all now? What process did you use in the end.. I've just been picking little bits at a time with Furniture Polish and Petrol..

LOLing so hard in the office right now... I came in to find email alerts to this page.. Before I'd even picked up a file to work on I had talks of abrasive papers on genital areas.. It's going to be one hell of a day, thats for sure haha!

Re your attempt to remove the bump strip. Have you finished it all now? What process did you use in the end.. I've just been picking little bits at a time with Furniture Polish and Petrol..

After the paint removal, I stuck with a hairdryer to heat the sticky stuff then just rubbed it off with a old t shirt rapped round my finger as I started getting blisters then once most of the spongy foamy sticky stuff off go back to petrol and a rag to remove the sticky reminisce then just t cut the rest and you'll be fine :)

K K K K Kamarley!!

We're talkin' 20 meters duuuuuuuuuuude! Mehh, might be able to borrow some from somewhere actually. Gonna attempt to get some off tonight at the gf's...

Soooooo, as of saturday morning I ordered the following things:

Peter Lloyd Rallying Exhaust System
http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/micra-exhaust-plr337?filter_name=micra

Front & Rear Square Vinyl Number Plates
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150504420679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Front & Rear Tow Stickers (RED)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251211481818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Also bought a red Sun Strip with the word 'Motorsport' in Silver print.

Was so fiddly haha..

IMG-20130819-00129_zps843a5732.jpg

Then decided that from the off-cut of the strip.. I'd try something on the rear. What are your thoughts on this? I'm not 100% tbh .. Kind of looks a little tatty I think.

IMG-20130819-00131_zps36f13beb.jpg

Really am debating taking the rear off.

Can't wait to get the exhaust on ;)

Cmon PLR.... Hurry and deliverrrrrr!

The end colour scheme is to be white & red so that I'm not to fussed about. In terms of it being bigger .. Unfortunately the wipers go quite high so this is literally the widest it could go without risking snapping blades/getting stuck in torrential rain.

Whats your view on the rear one though mate? - Thats my main concern of the two tbh.

I had the same issue with my Time Attack one... I got smaller wiper blades ;)
The rear looks fine. If your colour scheme will tie it in then even better :)

Back