Networking advice

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I'm needing to setup a network at home and need advice.

At present I have 1 PC with another PC and xbox linked to to it but will be adding another xbox and probably another PC so am needing to set it up properly.

My internet is from NTL and runs through the set-top box and I don't want wireless.

Can anyone recommend a package I should get?

Just get a Broadband Ethernet router. That will do what you need.

Which is why you need a broadband Ethernet router not an broadband ADSL router :)

goldstar0011 said:
aha! so if I ended up leaving NTL I'd have a useless peice of kit

It wouldnt be useless, you should still able to use it to allow all the devices to communicate with each other, just wouldnt have internet access.

Arnold said:
It wouldnt be useless, you should still able to use it to allow all the devices to communicate with each other, just wouldnt have internet access.

or attach an ethernet enabled ADSL modem to the "WAN (internet)" port... so it may not become useless if you leave NTL at all ;)

a switch would do the same thing, only cheaper. No hardware firewall on it though. And there is less controlabilty

Only need a firewall on my main PC which it has, xboxes are safe and any other PC will be below 1GHZ and only a media viewer and net browser, no important files etc.

I've seen switchers and they are cheaper but whats difference, I want cheapest but less troublesome

The end product must allow me to FTP the xboxes (they are give static IP's) but also allow use of tunneling software for free online play, the PC's need internet access and visability of all shared drives to each other.

Cheers so far guys

Ian said:
a switch would do the same thing, only cheaper. No hardware firewall on it though. And there is less controlabilty

A switch would not work on NTL.

goldstar0011 said:
Only need a firewall on my main PC which it has, xboxes are safe and any other PC will be below 1GHZ and only a media viewer and net browser, no important files etc.

The more fronts you have to protect your network the better really..

I've seen switchers and they are cheaper but whats difference, I want cheapest but less troublesome

Then you dont want a switch. A switch is like a hub but with more intelligence. That is a Hub just relays what it sees on one port through every port. A switch sends it to a known destination - if it has one if not then to all ports. A router is totally different, it appears as far as the modem is concernd a computer in its own right. It can do traffic managment and filtering. They usually also have other advanced featues like MAC cloning. You may need to clone the MAC address of the computer usually used on the NTL modem, so that the NTL network assume that the modem is that pc. This is because NTL do not allow more than one MAC address to be registered at once (when I last looked) but this becomes irrelevent when you have a router as all computers as so far as the modem is concerned appear to have one MAC address and so will work fine.

BTW many routers also have Switches in them, or the more basic ones just have hubs. You can also add switches or hubs to a router to connect many more computers.

The end product must allow me to FTP the xboxes (they are give static IP's) but also allow use of tunneling software for free online play, the PC's need internet access and visability of all shared drives to each other.

Cheers so far guys

This is what I have: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...rking/WirelessNetworking/PreNWire...tworking/

Its wireless as well, and has 4 ports for computers. It seems very good indeed, and has proved to be reliable with very good WIFI. (I know you said you didnt want this but good wifi is very usefull) You could always try something like this: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wired_cable_router_rp614.php

I had one of these before the Belkin. They sell quite cheap on ebay and again are nice bits of kit. This again will do all you need.

Ed

Check this out only £14

http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/52897

I think for that money, you cant go wrong

Spec:

The best solution of BBR-1401 for sharing a single broadband connection and Printer offering multi-user connectivity plus incredible traffic management and security features that allow you to take control of your network. This broadband router is designed to power the LAN link for your entire office, including secure communications with embedded 4-port 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet switch under installation and maintenance. Click here to find out how it work. MAC Address can be Cloned. Ideal for NTL, Cable Modem and Blueyonder users to share a single internet connection and without the need of leaving any PC on

Specifications:

# Standard IEEE 802.3/IEEE802.3u
# LAN Interface RJ-45 x 4 (Auto MDI-II/MDI-X)
# WAN Interface RJ-45 x 1 (10Base-T/100Base-TX Broadband)
# Printer Port USB Printer Port
# Speed WAN: 10/100Mbps (10Base-T / 100Base-TX ); LAN: 10/100Mbps (10Base-T / 100Base-TX ).
# Internet Sharing Methods Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE
# Protocols TCP/IP, VPN pass through (PPTP, L2TP, IPSec)
# Network Service TCP/IP Stacks, DHCP Client/Server; PPPoE, Static Route; TFTP Client; Access Control (PAP/CHAP).
# Firewall Prevention of DOS, Stateful packet inspection(SPI); NAT(Network Address Translation); DNS Proxy.
# Compliance FCC Part 15 Class B, Sec. 15.247 and 15.109EN 55022 and EN55024
# Dimension 200x120x350mm
# Weight 290g
# Temperature Operation: 0 C~55 C Storage: -20 C~70 C in storage
# Humidity 0~95%
# Power Adapter Output DC 9Volt/1A, 100-240V AC Power adapter
# Interface RJ45 x 5 (1xWAN+4xLAN); DC/AC-in x 1; Reset x 1.
# Management Utility Web-based/ Remote Management; Setup Wizard; TFTP for software upgrade
# LAN connection TCP/IP; NAT; 4 Port Hub switch.

Back