n15 gearboxes and micra CV's

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
done a search but wasnt able to find anything.

cisco would be the best to answer this.

but has anyone else had a n15 gearbox upgrade?

with the micra cv's was there a reason why they werent used.

with custom cv's how much do they cost to get made?

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Just for info: LWC needed new CV covers. Nissan price $125ea, Shaftmaster in Fyshwick ACT (stop laughing you Canberrans!) were $15ea and have outlasted the Nissan originals by 20k and are still healthy. I would suggest contacting them for CV joints if needed. CV joints made by GKN in Europe and should be heaps cheaper than Nissan.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
From what I recall the CVT inner CV's & shafts are a direct fit with the N14/N15 GA16DE gearbox RS5F31A or RS5F31V.
Do a bit more of a search for RS5F31A & the CVT box. There was a post some months back that had photos of the CV's & shafts.
The viscous LSD version RS5F31V will still need the LHS inner CV with the longer shaft going into the gearbox to connect with the viscous coupling.
The gearbox mounts for the normal CG13DE 5spd RS5F30A will fit the RS5F31V.

cisco

» CMF Member
Lam,

I only have experience with manual gearboxes, was this what you were thinking of?

But the splines in the 31 series gearboxes (RS5F31A and RS5F31V) had an extra couple of teeth on them, i.e. are stronger and can handle more load. For this reason, the micra's inner CVs (with the lesser number of teeth on their splines), do not fit into the pulsar 31 series gearboxes. It is a real shame, because apart from that, obviously the length of the micra's CVs are designed for the track/width of the micra, and the pulsar 31 series gearboxes end up positioned in about exactly the same spot, so its only the splines preventing it from working..

To solve this, rather expen$ively, rather than making custom CVs, I had custom shafts made up, but with the large (from 2.0 SSS pulsar) CV joints mated to the custom shafts. These shafts and CVs (now owned by Tony up in QLD) are extremely tough. I reckon you could put them on a small truck without too many hassles (seriously!). The shafts were bloody thick - probably didn't even need to be that thick, but at least they will never snap.

But those shafts cost me an arm and a leg. About $2200 in total fully assembled including all the reconditioned CVs, boots etc. Bloody not cheap by any means. But they were of a very high quality.

But I would highly recommend going to a really hardcore CV/shaft parts place, (N&B driveshafts in Canberra are absolute legends and Nick from there will help you find anything you need), and going through millions of their CVs lying around until you find something that will mate to the micra's shaft, but also fit the pulsar's drive spline. You know, perhaps something off another model Nissan will fit, or even off another model car altogether.. Think models like ET pulsar, N12, N13, exa, NX coupe, pintara etc etc. Just basically check any similar kind of era Nissan that you can think of. Yeah and other brands of cars. A mate of a mate once got something like this to work when he put a different gearbox in his ET pulsar turbo. This would save a lot of cash, and if you can find out which model car makes this possible (I bet there is one), it will be gold information, because there are a lot of N14/N15 gearboxes out there that could make great donors for micras with lotsa grunt.

PS - If you put this gearbox in, you will need the speedo sensor from the N14 box, not N15. N15 is fully electronic, where as N14 has the mechanical cable thing, and fits the micra's mechanical speedo cable perfect.

Back