my ST Dyno results.. 57kw

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
after a week or two of chasing vacuum leaks, putting in parts sent from ireland(!) and changing every fluid possible i took the car up to a local shop today for a dyno run... not the most communicative bunch and i had to ask for my other two sheets, i was more interested in the AFR's and boost curve than in the total power, although i think it may be just a little low, not 100% sure! so hopefully some of you guys can shed some light

i've yet to gap my plugs down to .75 as Ed suggested or change to a range colder but i thought that would be more for reliability than power anyway...

enough yapping, here are the charts

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Um yes thats not great is it. I guess its wheel power? If not then your only making 75bhp fly, should be 110 ish. Also your AFR'S are not great at all.... I wonder if you have a boost leak? I would suggest that you may and I would therefor pull the whole lot appart to check everything else is ok too... Doesn't look like the supercharger is doing much either.. Thinking about it more your timing may be way out too Finally odd to have kph along the bottom and not RPM. They must have been lazy or something.

All else fails feel free to pay my plane and ill come over and sort it out for you hahaha...

Ed if i could afford that kind of luxury you'd be heading here to fix my lambo not my little march! but thanks for the offer anyway ;) next time your on a holiday in aus i'll pay you half a day to come fix it all... good deal or what?!!

yeah its not perfect is it, the car still feels okay to drive but doesn't power hard

i've never set timing before but i can only change the static timing anyway right? as in turning the distributor with a timing light on the belts

i need to change the belts so i'll do it all at the same time

yes it is wheel power, in KW as they all do here rather than HP

supercharger says its pushing 5-7psi on my boost gauge

Ed is it possible my powers low because of headgasket problems? i do have the occasional oil sludge in the radiator and an idle thats less than perfect (although that would point to vac leak also)

the only hose i can possible point to as a culprit is the pipe going over the 4th cylinder that joins the turbo, the clamps have been overtightened and the rubber is a little but cut up, not sure if it would be enough to leak tho...

hmm the plot thickens! at least the dyno run did what i wanted (tell me weather it was on or not!)

lol you wont know but I am actually half aus and have aus citizenship.. but I've never been there lol.. I will one day however!

ok well 75@ wheels is still well down on 110 @ fly.. I am going to show your graph to a friend of mine who has the same dyno and see what he makes of the figures. In any case your still running WAY rich.

Static timing should be 15 deg, Can you take a photo of the distributor position? May be a bit akward under the IC etc.. Boost from the S/C should be similar to that of the turbo. i.e. 10-12psi etc.. and the torque curver should be much more flat, its blatiently not.

Ed

oh okay? i thought it was only capable of 7psi so i didn't worry about it, that is interesting to know

i'll do the belts, make sure the tension is spot on, get a pic of the distributor position, get myself a timing light and a range colder plugs (might go to 7s first) and go from there!

yeah the one comment the mechs at the place was that it is running a little rich (the boss said that not the guy that did the run, he hardly said a word... except that his mates boosted smart car makes more power...)

as for your aus citizenship, maybe don't come, cause you'll never want to leave and then all the micra boys in the UK will start whinging at the aussies for stealin ya know-how!!

lol only thing that puts me of aus is they are even more strict on speeding there and fireworks are banned hahaha... Oh and it would cost lots to bring my St's over...

As a comparison my ST made about 118ish kw @ wheels when at its best..

cost even more when you break something and have to get barry to post you spares!!

thanks for showing the chart to your friend, look forward to getting some insight! (and fixing the thing...)

distributor pics:

100_0611.jpg

100_0612.jpg

100_0613.jpg

who you callin' retarted??

pulling that suspect hose off now will go up the road and get a silicone replacement and check any vac lines i can get at while there.

then timing light, then timing fix :D

Change the lambda sensor also if you have not done so already...

standard nissan 3 wire or single wire? maybe i can just take it down the shop and get them to match it...

changed some clamps that were looking shoddy with better ones

the parts shop gave me a few wrong ones which is a bit of a pain, upshot is i can pull most of the intake parts off in about 15 mins... prefer not to tho cause then i can't blame myself when its stuffed...

almost had a minor heart attack with a bolt falling down towards the supercharger bypass thing, luckily it fell out before going into the actual SC

performance is the same, an issue thats arisen is when i give it some then put the clutch in and braking to a stop the car will sometimes stall, like it can't quite catch itself and idle up again, any ideas what the go is there?

as for the timing, here's the result, i guess it's good and bad news... right on 15 degrees

timing.jpg

Timing makes a big difference on the car,I'd say that your problem A good dyno operator would have checked this and offered advice on the afr's.Also Ed is right change the lambda sensor,Its a one wire bosch sensor.

How do you mean??

For now they've just played around with the stock ecu as best they could. When funds permit I'd say I'll be getting a haltech set up. Which will make the whole process easier.

Pointless! I helped develop a realtime mapping system for the march ST... Its still in progress, but means no need for haltech or anything like that....

I also have Nismo roms for the stock ecu too...

Awesome, I'll get in touch with you about it next time the car is going on the dyno. Probably towards the end of the year when I get the exhaust done.

smoke machine through it is a cool idea! although when speaking to a previous owner he said he pulled apart a heap of vac leads etc etc so i'm thinking of just getting that diagram and checking everything from scratch

Change the lambda sensor also if you have not done so already...

putting a wideband in soon i'm 99% it has a narrow output that i'll send to the ECU

I'm still not convinced... :)

not convinced the timing is at 15 degrees?

got a new oxy sensor today, will fit it, change my belts, re-check my timing

i don't need to do anything tricky to set the timing eh? no disconnecting any vac lines or TPS or anything?

oh yeah and gapping the plugs to 75mm

smoke machine through it is a cool idea! although when speaking to a previous owner he said he pulled apart a heap of vac leads etc etc so i'm thinking of just getting that diagram and checking everything from scratch

putting a wideband in soon i'm 99% it has a narrow output that i'll send to the ECU

not convinced the timing is at 15 degrees?

Why you need the wideband if the cars standard man,its a waste of money?

Also the timing send me an email and I go through it step by step it a piece of #### to do,I'd say thats your problem as the cars boosting fine on the turbo and driving fine(no miss fires,spluttering) so it has to be the ignition timing.I'm not having a go at you just don't be jumping to spend loads of cash on stuff you don't need to get the car to factory power

hey mate, i'm actually being given a wideband for free and building the kit so its not costing me a cent, plus its good for curiositys sake and if i do try and wring some more power out of it later can sort it out

changed the belts they were pretty rooted and re torqued all the tensioners etc.. will shoot you an email about the timing now, that would be a massive help thanks barry

hey mate, i'm actually being given a wideband for free and building the kit so its not costing me a cent, plus its good for curiositys sake and if i do try and wring some more power out of it later can sort it out

changed the belts they were pretty rooted and re torqued all the tensioners etc.. will shoot you an email about the timing now, that would be a massive help thanks barry

Well if your getting her for nothing sure why not

Back