my new proposed stereo install opinions?

alchemyst

Ex. Club Member
right then i am planning a new system for my micra i will list the bits im planning on buying to make the system, if you have used any of the stuff or have an sensible opinion the system parts or anything ive forgotten or will need please feel free to comment (be nice though!) :grinning:
i will be using my current jvc headunit initially but i may upgrade to a jvc dvd player later
right then list of the bits im planning on buying

1: soundstream xta600.5 amp x1
2: mb quart dse216 6.5" pair x2
3: pioneer tsd901r 6x9 pair x2
4: pioneer ts-sw841d 8" sub x2
5: pioneer ts-sw1241d 12" sub x1
6: kole audio 8farad capacitor x1
7: metra 4gauge amo wiring kit x1
8: monstercable 16gauge 20' x4
9: phoenix gold rs2.560 rca x2

i know it might be overkill in a micra :blush: but its allways better to have more than you need than not enough! :laugh:
so what do you guys (and girls) think?

Nope, way ott and wrong....and a waste of money.

Don't mix subwoofer sizes, which is something you've done. Either get 2 12's or stick with a single 12, get rid of the 8's.

You also dont need 8 pairs of speakers?! Wtf!

Get a decent pair of component (NOT coaxial) speakers for the front, and if you really want to waste money then one more pair of coaxials for the rear.

Get rid of the 6x9's, not needed if you are getting a decent set of components for the front and a pair of 6.5 coaxials for the rear shelf.

Get rid of the capacitor, a serious waste of money. They do absolutely nothing and cause more harm than good. Spend that money on a new bigger battery for the car

Amp is fine I think, but how did you intend on running 11 speakers from it in the first place?!

You want a decent/good beginner srtup?

Go for 1 set of good amped components in the front, one multichannel amp to power these components and a 12" subwoofer, then run the rear 6.5's off of the headunit amp channels.

If you want more, then say what type of thing you want, but that setup is ridiculous!

What's your budget?

In car audio, more is definately not better.

right mate first off 2x2 is 4 so 2 pairs is 4 and 4 pairs are 8 ,+2sub +1sub = 11 speakers in total inc subs!
the mb quarts ARE component speakers and pretty good ones at that!
6x9's give good rear fill and i like that,plus they are premier top of the rangenot cheap sh*t
the subs are mixed because the 8"s are going under the front seats special low depth mounting subs only 7.5 cm deep! and the 12" is going in the boot again a very thin sub designed for a very small box (ideal for the micra boot)
capacitor yeah they can be a waste but they do help smooth the supply to the amp preventing clipping, plus its cheap and flashy :blush:
the car will be fitted witha pair of good quality batteries so nothing to worry about there!
the amp is a 5 chanel amp thats 2 ohm stable so the comps and 6x9 will be wired in parallel two speakers to each output showing 2ohms to the amp and the subs will be wired in a tri series parallel arrangement showing 3 ohms to the amp. simple yes? good :laugh:
i will be importing this kit from the us it will be about £615 all in which is way way cheaper than sourcing in the uk even from the cheap places!
i have the most eclectic music taste your ever likely to encounter so i want a system that will cope with what ever i throw at it and still sound great plus i want it to be loud without distorting or being under strain, hence the use of quality kit! and plenty of it! :laugh:

thanks for your input though.

i was really after comments on the actual items in the kit rather than the proposed amount of kit! to be fair its not really alot its just going in a very small car! ive had similar systems in the past but they have been in bigger cars, except my system in my old mini that had a 10" sub 4 6x9" and 4 5.25" and that sounded awesome :devil:
so anybody else got an opinion?

right mate first off 2x2 is 4 so 2 pairs is 4 and 4 pairs are 8 ,+2sub +1sub = 11 speakers in total inc subs!
the mb quarts ARE component speakers and pretty good ones at that!
6x9's give good rear fill and i like that,plus they are premier top of the rangenot cheap sh*t
the subs are mixed because the 8"s are going under the front seats special low depth mounting subs only 7.5 cm deep! and the 12" is going in the boot again a very thin sub designed for a very small box (ideal for the micra boot)
capacitor yeah they can be a waste but they do help smooth the supply to the amp preventing clipping, plus its cheap and flashy :blush:
the car will be fitted witha pair of good quality batteries so nothing to worry about there!
the amp is a 5 chanel amp thats 2 ohm stable so the comps and 6x9 will be wired in parallel two speakers to each output showing 2ohms to the amp and the subs will be wired in a tri series parallel arrangement showing 3 ohms to the amp. simple yes? good :laugh:
i will be importing this kit from the us it will be about £615 all in which is way way cheaper than sourcing in the uk even from the cheap places!
i have the most eclectic music taste your ever likely to encounter so i want a system that will cope with what ever i throw at it and still sound great plus i want it to be loud without distorting or being under strain, hence the use of quality kit! and plenty of it! :laugh:

thanks for your input though.

i was really after comments on the actual items in the kit rather than the proposed amount of kit! to be fair its not really alot its just going in a very small car! ive had similar systems in the past but they have been in bigger cars, except my system in my old mini that had a 10" sub 4 6x9" and 4 5.25" and that sounded awesome :devil:
so anybody else got an opinion?

Sorry, I read your extremely and extensive equipment list wrongly, its 11.

You want input? Join talkaudio.co.uk, the biggest audio forum in the UK (of which I've been a member for 4 years). Maybe you should take some good advice when you see it.

capacitor yeah they can be a waste but they do help smooth the supply to the amp preventing clipping, plus its cheap and flashy

Balls, search on talkaudio for the numerous threads on caps, they are a waste of money and don't prevent clipping.

It would be better to give 90wrms to each speaker set than to split 90wrms between 2 sets of speakers. At least cut it down to 4 sets, where on earth will you fit 2 pairs of components (and 4 tweeters?!) in the front?

Are you going to have 4 6x9's on the shelf?!!!

You don't need 6x9 rear fill, just use the 6.5's with enough amp power (which is currently lacking) or put (as I suggested before) one pair of 6.5's in the rear.

i have the most eclectic music taste your ever likely to encounter so i want a system that will cope with what ever i throw at it and still sound great plus i want it to be loud without distorting or being under strain, hence the use of quality kit! and plenty of it!

If that's the case, why underpower your speakers to drive them to distortion?! You should be looking at more like 200wrms per channel to give you plenty of overheard, not 45wrms!

Don't ask for thoughts and then throw them all back at me.

Don't forget import duty and tax.

Join a proper audio forum (talkaudio) and ask for advice there, I'm sure they'll love it :laugh:

sorry mate seem to have upset you
"Don't ask for thoughts and then throw them all back at me".
I DIDNT as far as im concerned i just disagreed with you, as i said i was after comments on the actual equipment!
i dont doubt your expertise but i dont like the kind of set up you sugest no offence i just dont like the sound
the capacitor issue i think youll find i did say in a jokey manner that it was mainly cause it looks good! and i have personally used them on one of my amps that clipped and it did stop it so i dont know what you want me to say!
addmittedly they will not cure an underpowered power supply but the intention is to smooth the feed.
why would i want to put 200wrms into each channel?
45wrms to each speaker is just fine.
im sorry you dont like my reasoning or my disagreing with you ,but i didnt ask you to design me a system i just asked for opinion of the kit i would be buying would you like to make any sensible comments on the kit or do you just want to try and make me look stupid?

If you want SQ, you require headroom, 45wrms into those speakers isnt really ideal, try and double the power at least.

Caps smoothing the feed....all amps have caps in them to do this anyway. External ones are not needed. People in soundoff and SQ competitions don't use them!

The kit is ok, but you've got too much of it! Have you actually heard any of it as its all down to taste at the end of the day?

The pioneer subs are ok, but a bit of a difference compared with the MB Quartz kit. 6x9's, dont bother if you have nice components!

What made you decide on that kit selection in the first place? It seems a bit of a mismatch.

Check out Genesis, DLS, Rainbow, etc for quality kit.

the subs i chose because of where they need to go
the mb quart because they have a good rep for 6" components
the pioneer premier 6x9 because they give a nice warm sound which i like
the soundstream again they heve a good rep and i wanted a 5/6 channel amp and it was a good price the wiring and cap because they are good american brands and excellent value
plus i can get all of this kit at really good prices much cheaper than rrp in usa and far far cheaper than uk
genesis dls and rainbow are all excellent kit but unfortunately have a price to match!
on a side note if i decide to not use all the speakers in the micra and say use only five or six i can always use the rest in one of my other cars so no loss there pluss buying it all together saves over £160 in postage which pays for about half the speakers anyway! :laugh:
oh yeah and the thing with the 6x9's that you so hate and the 8" subs is that being a 30+year old dad i use the car for all sorts of things including shopping, camping and trips to the diy store and so need the boot i would have the 12"sub in a removable box, when space was needed i could take it out but still have reasonable base and then when space wasnt needed drop it back in and enjoy the lows a bit more, seems sensible to me.

By all means keep the 8's, but give them plenty of power and a decent fibreglass enclosure for them to extend their bass into! I still don't see the need for the 6x9's if you're removing the boot sub for shopping though. Where are you putting all 4 of them? The 6x9's are simply not needed, I'm just trying to help you save some £££. It could be spent on getting another/a bigger amp...!

Decent 3-way frontend is the way forward, which is kind of where you're going anyway :)

Just watch warranties on import kit. Lots of companies won't cover the equipment unless you but it from the UK distro.

Back