Motorsport News

I suggest it may be worth investing in a copy of Motorsport News on Wednesday. There is an announcement there of great significance to Micra owners. I'm sorry I can't give away what it is - I'd be shot!

Yes this coming Wednesday. A clue? Tricky without giving the game away but this is the result of a vast amount of work & I don't think you'll be disappointed - particularly K11 owners

Anythin to do with the f1000 rally championship and gwyndaf evans son drivin a micra? Blatantly isnt, but you mentioned MN, and i get it every week so.........

Well Craig you are the nearest so far but it's not about Elfyn and it's not the F1000 championship.
I grew up in Bromborough by the way!

Can someone scan it and post it up for the souls on the other side of the world who can't just head on down to their local pommy newsagent to buy a copy? :D

Bromborough eh, i live in spital, so thats pretty much next door. If they are restarting the Micra Challenge, then ill be happy, cos i wanna start rallying professionally at some point.......

No, not the Micra challenge (good though it was!)

You are familiar with F1000 - that's your cheapest way into rallying. We competed on all bar the first round of the forest championship last year & drove to & from each one. The car cost £2350

yeah, id love to do that, but it would mean i wouldnt have a car to drive everyday, and theres a major lack of funding. Im off to uni in september to do motorsport operations, so hopefully i can work my way from there....

Ah ha............I know ;) Can't say as I may get someone into trouble who works for Haymarket.

I've got it.........

Licence.jpg

Hehe, I am a little paranoid.....
If only it did come with MSN, cost me £60 with express handling, but at least it means that the sprint car is on and my motorsport career has begun lol

pec1 said:
I suggest it may be worth investing in a copy of Motorsport News on Wednesday. There is an announcement there of great significance to Micra owners. I'm sorry I can't give away what it is - I'd be shot!

Well since it's now Wednesday, the "greatly significant" cat can be let out of the bag.

It's just a mention of an up and coming Super 1000 category, which will give rise to 1.0 Micras making 120bhp at 10000rpm. Have to keep the original crank but you are allowed dog boxes, lsd's etc to make use of the extra power at crazy rpms.

How significant this is to us however is open to discussion. A 10Krpm 120bhp 1.0 engine will be about as useful as a chocolate kettle on the road not to mention the cost of setting one up. Interesting development none the less but old ground, as people have been getting 130bhp out of the 1.0 engines for quite some time now. Interestingly Geoff Jones seems to have got his foot in the door on this one...............no doubt he'll be even more hard to contact from now on!

I'll stick with a 120bhp 1.3, since you can coax that at a mediocre 7000rpm.

hmm 120bhp from a 1.0l, nuts. How does the standard crank do 10,000 RPM? Modified OEM part? And what valves are they using? No way are they standard.

Anyone in this club who trys to get 120bhp from a 1.0l is either stupid or has money to burn :eek:

by the above means of course before someone takes it out of context.

1.0's have a much shorter stroke than the 1.3's, so it's favorable for high rpm. You could easily use the standard valves and get away with more valve lift with cams to achieve the necessary flow. I don't know what the limitations are in terms of compression, use of pistons or rods but the budget for the cars is much bigger...........circa £10-12K for a complete car, so by no means the same ball game as F1000.

I've heard of really stupidly quick 1ltrs before but only in japan...

This we'll be seeing more tuning gear for the k11?

Yes this means new production of Micra tuning gear. A lot will transfer to 1300's, throttle bodies, ecu's etc. One of the engine builders is John Hardman, his motors tend to dominate rallying in the north west. We are building a car here with one of his engines, will keep you up to date on how it goes if anyone is interested.

I can't see throttlebodies and ECU's being affordable when the car build prices are £10K and above. Not many with deep pockets here.

i'm interested, but as dave says it wont really be affordable. For the money it costs could buy some very nice cars :eek:

Im just impressed with the 10000 rpm limit, think how many chavs you could scare the hell out of with that.......

you'd be torquless though so you would have to be revving high just to make progress which would kill the engine...

True, true, but then again if you want torque, you could always get an impreza, or even better than that, a skoda fabia vrs....

but for now ill stick with my 1.0 micra and dream.........

Craig. As you are not far away (45 mins) & doing motorsport operations in uni would you like to come & see the first car tested when it's ready?

8 to 10 weeks. Don't know if you are familiar with it but we run the forest testing in Corwen. I'll give you a shout when it's on, should be able to sort you a run in it - we have spare helmets

im goin to uni in september, and thats preston, so thatll be bit further away than 45 mins. I will only have started my course in september as well, but if thats ok and the offers still on, then ill come and check it out...

Back