MOT Fun, Can Anyone identify this part?

Hi All,

I've been a hanging around these forums like a bad smell for sometime now. I've owned my delightful Micra since the end of May and the MOT is due on the 21st August. I picked the car up for £220. It's a 1999 Inspiration with 110k on the clock and its sole purpose is a daily commute (60 mile round trip). It's doing well so far, fingers crossed.

Anyway, had a poke around. Solid front cross member and solid sills. The back needs to be treated for rust though (under the spare wheel part). There is a part that has rusted around the rear suspension. It looks the part can bolt off and a new guard bolted off. Can someone confirm this will be ok?

The arrow shows the part that needs replacing, it is fixed with two 12mm bolts, one is in shot.
(i've pinched this image from the site).

57708.jpg

Hi All,

I've been a hanging around these forums like a bad smell for sometime now. I've owned my delightful Micra since the end of May and the MOT is due on the 21st August. I picked the car up for £220. It's a 1999 Inspiration with 110k on the clock and its sole purpose is a daily commute (60 mile round trip). It's doing well so far, fingers crossed.

Anyway, had a poke around. Solid front cross member and solid sills. The back needs to be treated for rust though (under the spare wheel part). There is a part that has rusted around the rear suspension. It looks the part can bolt off and a new guard bolted off. Can someone confirm this will be ok?

The arrow shows the part that needs replacing, it is fixed with two 12mm bolts, one is in shot.
(i've pinched this image from the site).

57708.jpg

Did you manage to replace those upper spring mounts or whatever they are called? I have the same problem on my car.

Did you manage to replace those upper spring mounts or whatever they are called? I have the same problem on my car.
Found the part in a scrappy. Had to cut it out and then cut out the bad patch and welded the fresh piece in. Passed Mot with no advisories :)

Have heard of people bodging it with fibre glass and painting underseal over it but not something i would suggest.

Found the part in a scrappy. Had to cut it out and then cut out the bad patch and welded the fresh piece in. Passed Mot with no advisories :)

Have heard of people bodging it with fibre glass and painting underseal over it but not something i would suggest.

I prefer to avoid scrap dealers if possible. The ones in my area all have a sign up saying "Welcome to grumpy old b******'s scrap yard". I will ask at my local motor factor.

Back