Modding a K12

Hey everyone, MSC newbie here! :]

I recently purchased a K12 Sports+, and have been reading up on the forums on performance modding it. I've decided to go with some new spark plugs (champion eon 4) from Halfords and a K&N 57i induction kit.

Was just wondering to anyone whos purchased these, is it worth the £100?

I'm out to try and make my micra sound a little bit beefier and perhaps add a little bit of power at higher revs, but i'm a skint student, and don't paticuarly want to spend £100 for nothing.

Cheers.

Also:
Does installing either of these void the nissan standard warranty?

So you havent bought the plugs and filter? With a bit of ingenuity and leccy tape you can make a perfectly good induction kit for less than £20 easy. And the spark plugs arent going to see a noticable improvement if your existing ones are working fine.

My 'induction kit' lol is made from a K&N filter for a Vauxhall Vectra (£15 bargain bin Halfords (Y)) and the pipe connecting that to the throttle body is a rubber bendy pipe that will have done a similar job on whatever car it was off originally (swiped from a scrappy, it was lying by the entrance lol). So thats £10 :D

Cheers for the reply!

Ah, if i'm honest i'm pretty new to the car mod scene and it's hard to know what to trust. I see loads of stuff kicking around on the net about switching in good spark plugs can increase mpg and give you 10 bhp.

I'm not really that ingenius with mechanics either, so maybe a kit would be better than me bodging an air filter :p

Cheers for the reply!

Ah, if i'm honest i'm pretty new to the car mod scene and it's hard to know what to trust. I see loads of stuff kicking around on the net about switching in good spark plugs can increase mpg and give you 10 bhp.

i am a newbie to car modding too but i can tell you any good spark plugs won't give you those benefits. :blush: spend your money elsewhere. (Y)

Yeah forget the spark plugs for the moment...
You dont have to get the K&N kit, there are cheaper kits out there
Lowering it would set it off a treat!
Power boost valve possibly
To get good gains you need to spend money...the way it is

Yeah, i'm alright with spending the money I just don't wanna spend it unnecessarily :p.

I thought that the air filter replacement and spark plugs were a good place to start because they were an easy modification, not sure really where i'm going with lowering my car..

I had a look around for a power boost valve as well, and not had much luck finding one specifically for a K12. Are there universal ones? Or at least ones that would be suitable?

can we see some pictures of your car so we could make some recommendations for you? Will you be going down the performance route or the appearance route?

To be honest, there is not a lot we can do to our micra engines. Most of the mods out there offer little gains unless a lot of cash or a turbo is involved. That's why most of us go down the 'appearance' path.

You can purchase lowering products on the internet and ask your local garage to fit it for you. Unfortunately there are not a lot of websites available but have a look at this:

http://rallynuts.com/roadsport_nissan-micra.asp

we'll direct you to more information once we find out what you're after.

I did want to go down the appearance route, but I thought it best to try and get the most out of my engine before I started messing with aesthetics.

HERE WE ARE!

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

Not sure what this white stuff is..

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00114-1.jpg

debadge it mate and slam it some better multispoke alloys as well and a full straight through exhaust system with some kind of better filter for your car and maybe even tint the windows

he he it`s like a silver standard version of mine here`s what i`d do mate seeing as you don`t want to be wasting money
1. get some cilit bang or similar and clean the engine cover it looks horrid like that
2. get a K&N or similar panel filter you don`t need the full induction kit the k12`s standard inlet is good enough
3.maybe get some spacers on the back to space the wheels out to the edge of the arches maybe a front strut brace if you travel country roads a lot
4. save up for a full exhaust system this will have to be custom made and will cost £2-300 but will be well worth it

in reply to your query about the warrenty a panel filter will not void the warrenty K&N gaurentee this with the filters i will get some links up for you soon for the panel filter and strut brace

forgot to say debadging is a good free mod aswell just make sure you get all the glue off

Ah cheers lads, much obliged.

About the exhaust system: you say custom made, what sort of places can I get one done from?

Dragonmaster i see you live in Derby which isn't too far from me so if you got yours done locally would be grateful if you let me know the business.

Back