Ma10 Weight

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
Does anyone know the weight of a ma10 engine? With oil etc removed? I had a quick look through the haynes manual and searched the MSC but all I could find was kerb weight.

I'm asking because i'm hoping to swap one ma10 engine with another at somepoint soon, so im gonna need an engine crane to do it, and the cheaper the better cashwise (likely to only use it twice!) However the cheaper ones manage considerably less weight, and I dont want to break it - specially as murphys law means if it breaks, its gonna do something painful to me! :D

k10 engines really arent that heavy if its drained 2 of u could manage. either that or loosen all the mounts dissconnect it drop the engine to the floor and lift the chassis over the engine

I would, but my mitochlorians have emigrated south for the winter....

PMSL

...back to business...I would also be very interested to know even the approximate weight of the engine & gearbox.

I cant see 3-4 litres of oil & water making it 'that' much heavier (as a percentage of the overall weight).

I cant see 3-4 litres of oil & water making it 'that' much heavier (as a percentage of the overall weight).

Ask any wannabe model - every lost oz counts :D Seriously tho, it'll probably be me attempting it on my own so its gonna have to be an engine crane job. Anyone have a rough idea?

Edit:

Ah, may have answered my own question - according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MA10S the maintence weight is is 71kg tho the MA09ERT is supposed to be 111kg, which seems like a pretty big increase. Can anyone confirm or deny these figures?

Well judging by how much difficulty Ed and his very well built mate had taking the engine out of my micra (with wood and harnisses), im guessing that weight may be accurate. Although possible to do with two people, it didnt look easy at all.

Arnold, I would say that if the wood had not bent like a leaf spring we would have had it out quite easily!

Krian, Im not the strongest guy in the world and lifted the MA10 engine out with my g/f brother with a few planks of 1x4 stacked (It was all I had) it was complete with everything except carb. If you used something more sensible like a scaff bar at the very least im sure you and a mate could manage it especially if the gearbox is off. The MA10 is quite easy to lift on its own.

Ed

Arnold, I would say that if the wood had not bent like a leaf spring we would have had it out quite easily!

Yeah i suppose it did bend quite a bit! Still looked tricky though, so rather you than me!

Is the ma10 the k10 engine? Coz if it is it was a 1.3 k11 engine Arnold had in his boot!!! :suspect:

lifting out an ma10 is easy myself and fox1983 did it using an old fence post and an old k10 seat belt :p although the easist way is to drop the engine to the floor and lift the car up and the front and move it backwards, yes! you heard me right the k10 weighs nothing without and engine 2 people can easily lift the front of the k10 :p

lol, i moved the ST on my own like that when I was rebuilding it. However I wouldn't like to do that very often haha. (on the st there is approx 240KG/side when fully built and 125 ish a side at the rear.) Its fair to say that a K10 fully loaded could be about 450 front 250 rear on that basis.

if your a weaklin take the head and sump off first then all you have to take out is the block and that will weigh nothing without the gearbox on it

can't see them being that heavy, all alloy arent they?

Me and two others managed to lift a complete built up starlet turbo engine and box into the back of a transit last weekend, and i'm 9 stone, wet through and about as strong as a wet lettuce........

it may be easier than you think :)

Ha ha thats what I was doing at the weekend glad its over!St is offically back on the road. . . . .

Back