» CMF Member
lsd vs stock

Attachments

• 68912.jpg
    68912.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
so i rang matt and he requested gripper to build an alternative model that has the clutch plates on one side only so the speedo could be fitted

post #943 2nd march on me blog

Attachments

• 68913.jpg
    68913.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 28

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
using morris xfs 80w/140 lsd oil

this lsd matt sent me was a 2-way 45/45 ramp config

during bed-in, the lsd clutch engagement is pretty sharp and when doin 3 point turns its really noisy n stuttering like an impact drill. must advise that you locktight the driveshaft nut cos they will rattle loose and wreck the wheel bearing.
during bed-in when turning, i was initially surprised at the sudden change in stability as the ramps shift direction if the torque load is gradually altered.
entering a corner mid-power the lsd engages and steering turns in at a certain rate. if i ease off till there's zero load going through the diff, the lsd suddenly snaps to open-diff and the front suddenly wants to turn in more given the same amount of steering angle.
so going through corners you have to maintain a constant load.

but now after few thousand miles its all bedded in, static preload is reduced and the engagement is much smoother n gradual n quiet so the mid-corner sudden snap disengagement has lessened

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
They are designed only for the standard K11 gearboxes. The 31V is totally different.

The gripper diffs are really setup for rally cars direct from gripper and to be honest I am changing mine out, as the 45/45 for me isn't optimal.

I am actually swapping for a 31V gearbox especially for the ratios, as we have a close ratio version. Which incidentally was mentioned earlier in terms of strength. The gearbox casings are not any stronger however the gears are noticeably larger in profile compared to a standard 30A gearbox, all be it by a small percentage.....even reverse has a thicker gear width.

We'll see how the vLSD goes and perhaps comission gripper to make one for the 31V box next year but it wont be a 45/45 nor have anywhere near the initial pre-load they come set with. Without PAS they're quite an arm breaker from new and I also don't use the recommended oil from Luxedol either. Being an 80w140, it it pretty viscous and does nothing to stop chatter. I run a 75w90 for LSDs with some friction modifier to keep things a little less harsh and actually eliminate chatter all together.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i was tempted to get one..... not any more tho :O
i can remember when i welded the diff in my oldschool mini stockrod, f/kin thing needed a very wide berth lol, it veered all over the shop on the banked oval !

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
mm so they are a clutch pack 2way? Not really what I'm after (I put a KAAZ 1.5way in my datsun and loved it, but wouldnt really want one in a fwd)
Does anyone know if you can get quaife style automatic torque biasing 1way LSDs?

I imagine if we had enough interest (i.e. 10 committed members) we could get a run of Topgear torsion LSDs made (from memory works out at around $1200ea)

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
First few days upon receiving from Gripper you can change to any available ramp free, u just pay for postage.

I would've changed to 1.5way but it was already fitted and couldn't be bothered to take the gearbox out

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
This will be done if we choose to have one made for the 31V box should the vLSD prove to be useless. However we are changing many things on the car this year so the LSD will take a bit of a back seat until we have given the car some heavy shakedowns.

Back