lsd gearbox for k11...

CMF_Unknown1029

» CMF Member
hi everyone, just joined today and i own a k11 micra 1.3 turbo. looking for better traction now so im wondering if anyone can help me with my gearbox issues...i acquired a rs5f31v which i think is from a nissan march as an optional extra, i was hoping to swap the lsd over from this gearbox to my 1.3 micra one as the bellhousing and gears were totally knackered on the march one, ive found out this is not possible so im now looking for the same gearbox with the viscious lsd. has anyone fitted this type of lsd to another nissan gearbox or has anyone got a spare rs5f31v gearbox???

thanks
unknown

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
hi, unknown ;-)
quote from the excellant k11 wiki

(The RS5F31A gearbox bell housing can be fitted to a 31V box, so long as the diff bearing area is machined to take the larger bearings of the 31V diff.
The 31V LHS inner CV shaft is longer than the 31A shaft).

and i think you,ll need a k11 auto n/s shaft
frank (ps, and well done on that 14.7 standing 1/4)

CMF_Unknown1029

» CMF Member
thanks frank ;) one thing, the only thing i have in working order is the lsd from the 31v box :p all gears are chipped/chewed/mangled whatever you want to call it lol what do you recommend?? cheers

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
S

maybe the 31a gear cluster will fit ?
or get the case machined for the bigger lsd bearing ?
or weld the diff !, like my old stockrod.
i,ve put some of those formula ford 13" tyres to one side, btw

frank

Attachments

• 43673.jpg
    43673.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 39

CMF_Unknown1029

» CMF Member
i have a few 1.3 boxes and its not possible to have the lsd fitted to them. the bellhousing part is much longer obviously to make the lsd fit. my gearbox guy is going to see if it could fit into a ga16 gearbox, thats the last option otherwise i need to get a rs5f31v box which is kinda impossible LOL also those tyres would they fit onto 13" steelies?? and are they grippy?? :D cheers

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
S

i think ? the ga box is the same shape as the 30a, but bigger shaft splines.
and yeh they,ll fit steelies (they,ve got pretty stiff sidewalls tho, to run at low psi, i presume) and apparently they,re crap in the wet but very sticky once warm (in the dry)

frank

CMF_Unknown1029

» CMF Member
if i cant get the lsd to work either way im going to give matt humphries a call as i know he would have something to suit my needs. i would only need 2 tyres, crail use only for them...whats the dimensions of them?? e.g 185/60/13 etc. cheers stani

CMF_Unknown1029

» CMF Member
f*ck that would be great, pitty we live so far apart lol i was down in birmingham picking this car up! i could always travel the distance...but it wouldnt be until a week on saturday i think???

CMF_mike-hayes

» CMF Member
Hi

I'm shooting a bit in the dark here but no doubt someone will say if I am to far out.

I have just fitted a gearbox to my car which is a NISMO C/R box, apparently built for the K11 race series in Japan. I haven't put the car back on the floor yet or driven it, but it all seems to fit OK. As I say I am no expert on this.

It comes with a viscous LSD and 2 new drive shafts. Assuming this is the same casing as the viscous LSD box "unknown" has then what I have noticed is that the LHS side of the box (the non bell housing end) diff case is longer than the standard box. The left hand drive shaft is shorter to allow for this and the inner CV Joints on both shafts have much longer splines. I did have problems with the gear linkage but that is another story. The person I had it from had 2 gearboxes and built the gears from one into a standard casing with a plate LSD, so it may well be that the gear cluster from a standard case will fit the Viscous LSD case if you wanted to go that way.

As far as a plate diff is concerned you could get them direct from Gripper Diffs http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper/ they list them at 575 GBP but no doubt there is VAT to add.

The one area I still have to sort out is the speedometer drive. My old box has a drive which is in the centre of the hole. The drive gear in the box is to the engine side of the hole. The Haynes manual photo shows a drive with an offset pinion, which looks like it may fit. But I don't know what boxes these came out of.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
RS5F30A
Older versions of the GA16 were fitted with this gearbox, as is the CG13DE, perhaps with some different ratios.

RS5F31A
This is essentially a stretched version of the 30A with wider gears. It retains all the mount bolt holes of the 30A, as well as having one additional on the front.
This was fitted to the multipoint fuel injected GA16DE, and has a bell housing that will bolt to the CG motor.
It was also fitted to CA16DE & CA18DE (GM 1.8L in australia) motors in the late 80's but had a bell housing to suit CA.
It ws also used on the E15ET motor in the mid 80's.

RS5F31V
Viscous LSD version of the 31A.
This was an option on various GA16DE powered cars from around 1990 on.
It was also an option on CA16DE & CA18DE (GM 1.8L in australia) powered cars.
The CG13DE version has close ratio gears & 5th gear is very short, i.e. lots of rpm in 5th at 100km/hr.
The GA16DE powered N15 X1R quite often has this option, and in my opinion has a better set of ratios.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
K11 RS5F30A 2853 RPM @ 100km/hr in 5th
K11 RS5F31V 3418 RPM @ 100km/hr in 5th

You should have noticed this, else you may not have a K11 box, probably a version from a GA16DE powered N14, N15 or similar. A turbo CG certainly doesn't need to be doing 3418 RPM @ 100km/hr in 5th.

Refer here http://k11wiki.com/index.php?title=Gearboxes
These boxes have been discussed on this forum a number of times over the years.

Back