Loss of power when accelerating. Help please

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

just drove to the MOT place (perposely 30 odd miles away to give t a good smash) but when I accelerate hard I get a VERY slight loss of power. I can feel it switching (kangerooing maybe?) between the power it should have and the loss of power. Specialy on hills.

I've read it could be the AFM but I can't seem to find anything on here that shows how to repair? I've been looking for about an hour.

Is there a way to test if it is that before I remove it? I read somewhere I can remove the AFM's connector and drive it then to see if it goes away. Is that a good test?

I unpluged and I was getting alot of kangerooing and I think I got abit of powerloss too. I also read somewhere that a bad connection to maf can lead to hesitance which sounds like the problem I have.

It seems more hesitant to speed up, 60mph onwards.

Any ideas guys. Are there any other sensors which can effect performance?

I had a similar problem.
I took the TB off and behind an aluminum cover there is a chip board, there was dry joints, so i soldered in wire links, now runs fine no problem.

I had a similar problem.
I took the TB off and behind an aluminum cover there is a chip board, there was dry joints, so i soldered in wire links, now runs fine no problem.

So today i swaped the dizzy, leads and lambda sensor. I also followed this tutorial and soldered the MAF but i think my soldering iron is crap becuase i noticed no difference.

i may do as you did mattjo and solder wire links, (Y)

Cheers

Today I soldered wire bridges to the Maf and still no luck.

So far I've changed:
dizzy
ht leads
fuel rail
lamdba sensor
air filter
did the soldering

and still no luck.

Is it possible that I just have a crapppy throttle body? Or a crap Maf insde it.

I swapped over the throttle body of my 1.0 litre and still same thing. I don't see what else could be the problem. Any ideas guys??

Update:

just swapped the fuel filter too and same thing.

So far i've tried:
air filter
fuel filter
dizzy
ht leads
lambda sensor
throttle body
fuel rail.

Is there anything else that can cause this very slight loss of power?

Odd maybe its just the engine giving up?

Unless fuel brand makes a difference (and type)

the engine had 62 thousand miles on it and was running fine when removed. Although Im not ruling that out.

Maybe its just me in the end, different car different feeling eh?

Could the fuel pump be on its way out??

Hmm not sure, maybe its just something much simpler who knows?

Could the ECU be a bit funny? Perhaps a remap would help?

Could be a nightmare finding the problem :/

I've had similiar experience with mine suluR, but really bad loss of power in 1st and 2nd. The timing chain is slipping though but I've not bothered to do out about it cos I'm gonna get the engine swapped out and the bodywork overhauled.

I've had similiar experience with mine suluR, but really bad loss of power in 1st and 2nd. The timing chain is slipping though but I've not bothered to do out about it cos I'm gonna get the engine swapped out and the bodywork overhauled.

Wow your timing chain is slipping? Surely that would mess everything up and soon after you wont be able to drive... I dont think my timing chain is the problem if im honest.

Could the neutral switch on the gearbox have something to do with it? (it got dipped in a pot of tramission oil and accidently pulled countless number of times :|)

Hello SuluR,

Did you ever manage to resolve your power-loss problem? It sounds very similar to mine.... I've also been through throttle body/dizzy and found nothing. My current prime suspect is fuel supply - possibly a blocked fuel strainer in the tank.

Thanks,

Neil

Dont know if this is still as live discussion or if you have the problem any more? It may be to do with your PSV valve and PSV filter? I was having a loss of power too and also oil in the air filter.....changing the psv valve seems to have sorted the problem out.....or very nearly.....i still have a micro loss of power but nothing compared to what it was before i changed the valve and filter......

i mention it as noone else has picked it up....also i had a new air flow sensor put on a s well....

Back