Lets make some noise

D

dave and his micra

Evening ladies and gents,

I behold 2 kenwood 6by9 3way 240W speakers and 2 kenwood 17cm 3way 220W component speakers and finally to finish the mix off, a year old kenwood mp3 cd reciever.

i want to make the most out of these speakers and evidentally need an amp. I would like it to be a kenwood one so everything matches.

What suggestions would you guys have to what size amp to get and how many channels its needs, wattage etc etc

Cheers :)

Dave

First of all, what are the speakers Watts in RMS? the 240w etc you are saying are pmpo figures. You need the RMS figures when it comes to buying an amp

Arnold

With those speakers there probably putting out a 100w rms if those are the stated peak figures, so a 4 channel amp in that region will do the job fine.

Could go for a 5 channel amp if you want to add a sub woofer at a later date or buy a seperate amp, depending on what you want to achieve.

I'm very close indeed to getting us underway, so if want a quote on a particular amp, then let me know or I can price you out a range to suit your budget.

Kev

Kev said:
With those speakers there probably putting out a 100w rms if those are the stated peak figures, so a 4 channel amp in that region will do the job fine.

My 300W 6x9's are only 80W RMS, so the 100W figure for his 240W 6x9's seems like bit of an over estimate!?

possibly.....

all depends on model number in the kenwood range, if it's high end then it's possible, if it's low end models then the rms figure will be much less, like you mentioned above.

I do however recommend if your going to buy an amp you may as well go for a higher rms level you can afford as this allows for future speaker upgrades without having to change the amp to suit. As long as you don't go too high for the speakers to handle the power, you can always gain down the amp as well.

Kev

My £50 Infinity 6x9s were 300W Max, 100W RMS - I hate the way most speakers only give the max output nowadays, whatever happened to telling the truth? lol

if you're not sure what it is, the figure should be written on bottom magnetic part of the speaker :)

RMS 'should' be Peak Voltage x 0.707, but unfortunately it doesnt work like that for most manufacturers marketing departments.

ok cheers guys, i will look and see what they are in a min

gotta find a price for a new wing mirror cover cos some #### cyclist just took mine out and didnt bother stopping -_-

Back