K13 Tekna 1.2 DIG-S first impressions

So, I already have a K11, the poor old girl is pretty tired now, not externally or internally, the chassis and suspension however needs quite a bit of work, isn't dangerous but rust and corrosion all over and the CG10DE is a little lacking, as is the dash even If I have a nice Pioneer unit in - Popped in, spoke to my local Nissan dealer, originally I wanted to spend about £10k, but looking at the spec level of the Tekna vs the base model, there was no real competition, especially as I will be using it to do around 350miles a week...

So, I took the car out for a test drive, pulled off the lot, took a right, round a roundabout, headed onto the dual carridgeway, first notable experience, was the powerband is across the whole band, no lags, no boggy gears, even when I switched to 5th by accident, the car just plowed on, 30-40-50, the numbers kept coming, the brakes, were decent, not great, but decent enough to bring the car to a sharp stop where the dual carridgeway splits off for an island.

The car seats are comfortable arm chairs much like the granny-safe seats in the K11, there is little audible creaks or cabin noise, road noise was a tiny issue but I drive with my windows cracked most of the time (Wind deflectors) so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The issue I found was the car dipped, at around 38-40ish exiting a roundabout (dual carridgeway) but when flat, the car has no issues I could find.

The 1.2 DIG-S (3 Cylinder, Supercharged) block is nice and spritely, great on fuel, the Stop-Start at lights, was at first annoying, however, over time I can see it being easy enough to get used to. The power band runs to about 6800-7k, shifting after that leaves a little bit of a bog for a second, but you won't be driving it that hard now will you? ;)

The Supercharger gives a nice whine under load, the boost is probably about 5-6psi - (Had a Jackson racing one on a B20C frankenstien at 13PSI) but this could be upped with a fraction skimmed off or a replacement item could be found. Or even, the original lightened (swisscheesed)

The interior was nicely trimmed, the touch-screen dash was awesome, the buttons and steering wheel were comfortable, and ergonomic.

The things I really like, Im in the TA, I have to pack a Tonne of stuff, including my Bergen, day sacks, boots, clothes, the lot. I could get my Bergen and day sack in the boot easily.. (I tried), The IPOD/AUX/USB and CD player head unit with SIX (6) Speakers, were decent but if you're really into your music upgrade them.

The 'Meh...' stuff, some of the boost piping was hard pvc/plastic or that crappy cross patterned rubber hosing, which from previous work as a parts salesman for a tuner/speedshop/autospares place, will break over time. most of it is 90s, 45s and straight pipes, could be upgraded to nice shiny ally or silicone pipe if you're that was inclined. The door trims and some of the plastic rattles and vibrates, but its no biggie, not enough to make you crazy, and certainly an improvement on an K11... :rolleyes:

The things I didn't like.. The chrome trim, the vents weren't colour-coded (can be fixed, Right?) the gearknob and wheel were leather, but the seats were faux suede. A little leather trim on the seats to go nicely with the wheel and stick would be a nice touch and maybe that faux suede between. My personal opinion though... - PS: Speakers are decent, but could be improved, maybe a nice set of Vibe, Bose or JBL speakers

Price: £16k (or there about) - 4/5, Could be improved with some minor changes
Performance: 3/5, However this isn't a "sports car"
Exterior: 4/5, Nice sporty look, with the larger SR Wing
Interior: 3.75/5, tiny niggles with chrome trim and door trim rattles
Comfort: 4.5/5, seating position was quite high, much like the K11's Granny-friendly seat position
Space: 5/5, Can fit everything in and more
Gadgets: 5/5 - USB, Ipod, Aux, CD, Heated Seats, Electric windows. 6 Speakers. SatNav, I-Key, What more can I ask for?

Overall: 4.85/5

PS: I would have liked a sun-roof, but they stopped by the looks.. :rolleyes:
PPS: This is my own opinion, it may differ from yours, but eh.

So overall, I liked the new car, so much so, I ordered one for September.

The DIG-S is a really fun car. I love mine (well, correction, the wife's but 'borrow' it where I can). No, its not the fastest car on the road, but surprises a few people. Certainty makes my 1.2 DIG-T Qashqai feel like a lump of lard!

You are right that the boost is limited to around 5/6psi according to one member, but as you say probably wont be difficult to find a bit more hp out of the engine but I dare say it would need a good map to tweak a few things.

The DIG-S is a really fun car. I love mine (well, correction, the wife's but 'borrow' it where I can). No, its not the fastest car on the road, but surprises a few people. Certainty makes my 1.2 DIG-T Qashqai feel like a lump of lard!

You are right that the boost is limited to around 5/6psi according to one member, but as you say probably wont be difficult to find a bit more hp out of the engine but I dare say it would need a good map to tweak a few things.
I've seen someone has already remapped them now, I will probably be getting one ASAP, along with some upgraded platinum or iridium plugs if possible and the upgraded throttlebody and filter housing i've seen (I think it was IMPUL..?)