K11 squeak

I have 1.0 k11 that has developed a squeak that appears to be coming from the middle of the car!

The squeak occurs as the power is applied and backed off. It is related to the movement of the engine/ box, but I cannot trace it as I cannot replicate it when stationary. I can hear a very faint squeak as I pull and push on the cylinder head, but it is not as loud as when under power on/off occurs. It is "dry mettallic" and driving me mad! I am thinking exhaust or engine mount. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Check to see if the exhaust heat shields have come loose due to rusting. Mine were really bad so I cut them off.

The reason, but not sure if its the cure!

The heat shields have been removed. Putting the car on ramps and moving the engine confirmed it to be the exhaust.......but the whole exhaust was reverburating to the sound so it took a while to work out that the sound was originating from the manifold - ex joint. It has a flexible joint clamped by spring loaded bolts. I oiled the joint and it went away. This does raise a question......is the joint metal to metal and should it be lubed. I am loathe to take it apart as its quite badly corroded and dont want a nagging noise turning into a problem that stops me using the car. I am thinking of putting plenty of Coppaslip into the joint and hoping that it works its way in by motion and melting. what have others done when fitting new manifolds etc?

Back