K11 at the Nurburgring

Trung

Founding Member
Top effort for the driver for taking a standard K11 on the world's most dangerous race circuit :laugh::slm:

20050526_0020.jpg

20050526_0021.jpg

Hmmm..... Trip to the Nurbergring..... Could that be a mass MSC tour idea?

20 euros for 25 mins of flat out track driving fun....... That's better value than a track day here in the UK!
I've been on a Mini track day at Castle Combe and it was like £25 for 5 laps that last about 10 minutes.

£50 for ferry Dover to Calais (Based on Sept, one car, one passenger, 3 days)

Directions from Calais to Nurburgring

~£10 per lap (cheaper if booking multiples) Not bad for a 20km+ course! Pay that for about a mile Go-Kart track!
~£20 a night hotel - although there are camp sites and guesthouses around the area
You can get organised trips but far more expensive and not half as much fun!! :laugh:

Would certainly be a good few days away :love: (Apparently, you need more than one day to get used to the circuit)

Very useful website from Ben Lovejoy who spends a lot of time going over there. He's already had about 40 trips over.

not exactly 25mins..but wot im trying to say is its werth the money becuase the track is long especially in a slow car

You have to check insurance, but it 'should' be ok as the track is classed as public highway! Also, breakdown cover, its best to get European cover, but many exclude the Nurburgring.

I'd love to go, but I'm not sure I'd take my micra round.

I wouldnt mind going in Craig's ;)

Your insurance definately would NOT cover you on that track. You would need to get specalist track insurance, and europe recovery!

Taken from Lovejoy's site:

Some policies specifically exclude 'track use'. Since the Ring is legally a road but also undeniably a track, this policy wording could be interpreted as letting the insurance company off the hook. At the very least, it is likely to lead to extremely long and potentially expensive arguments. Some German policies go even further and specifically exclude the Ring by name: in those cases, there is no doubt at all that you are uninsured.

More typically, policies exclude 'racing, pace-setting and time-trials'. None of these terms would apply to ordinary use of the Ring, but the time-trial clause may be deemed to apply if you are timing your laps. German police are noted for the unvarnished truth in their reports, so if they find a running stopwatch on your bike or in your car, this fact is very likely to be noted in the official report of the accident. This is yet another reason not to time laps.

The other option is to buy special track insurance, but this tends to be very expensive with high excesses also. It is not untypical to have an excess of £1500 and then find cover limited to the next £10k or so.

One essential step for drivers from outside Germany is to double-check that you have full coverage for overseas use, not just the minimum legal cover. Some policies revert to minimum third-party cover when abroad: always check.

There's an updated clause to this now on pretty much all standard policies. This basically excludes closed toll roads or words to that effect as well as tracks to cover places like the Ring. Looked at this a couple of years back and my bike policy had it then, my car policy has it now too. Damn insurers think of everything... :)

Attachments

• near side 1.jpg
    near side 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 175
  • near side.jpg
    near side.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 209
  • near side 2.jpg
    near side 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 166
  • near side 3.jpg
    near side 3.jpg