K10 alternators

as im itching to do a big i.c.e install, i got wondering on what variations of alternators came on the k10's...

are there different outputs for different engines/specs?

and has anyone had much luck in fitting an alternator from another manafacture (for example my old mazda rx-7 had a mitsubishi alternator due to it being a higher output, ####els need a cranking!)

with abit of luck, a nice juicy alternator will help 2 batterys / 2 edge 1200w amps and 4 JBL 12" GT5's to keep booming :)

i have several k10 altenators and they seem to be in 2 variants, 40 and 60A.

i see no problem in fitting another altenator as theres plenty of room there, might need small modification to the bracket etc but it is not beyond a competant fabricator.

a thing i thought about when i was considering an install, not for sound but for fishing, i was going to put another battery in the boot and fabricate a bracket for an additional altenator at the bottom of the engine, under the current altenator, theres holse already there for a bracket of some kind, maybe power steering or similar, at first glance it looks similar to the k11 altenator mounting.

They ought to call it OCE (Outside Car Entertainment) :D

That will be far louder than my home stereo system!! And THAT is powerful enough to shake the floors :p

Or is that 1200W peak :rolleyes:

BG

There are loads of alternators that will fit. I've used 110AH BMW ones, Ford Sierra etc etc Just take one to a scrappy and match it up with others on the shelf!

the amps are 600wrms x2 each (1200w combined per amp, so 2400watt in total, add to that a 400w amp for the 6x9's and another 2 400w amps for the 8 door speakers...3600w TOTAL!) the subs are 275wrms and 1100w peak so 600w of juice will keep them happy, the box alone is going to cost more than all the subs/amps put together!

its a (true) band-pass box tuned to around 27hz :) i used to have a single 12" jbl in a custom box tuned to 33hz...iirc i got 138.4db@33hz :D

hoping to hit the high 140's or better (over 150db would be ace!) the reason i ask about alternators is due to keeping the juice up so it will last a full SPL (sound pressure level) test...
my other car (a tigra :( ) has an 85amp alt and in its current setup (2x12" edge subs, custom tuned box, single 1200w edge amp) when its cranked up the voltage drops from a steady 12.9v to around 11.3v but this will need upgrading to a 100amp alt from a corsa 'c' diesel...and then a wall with another 4 12" edge subs if funds allow :p

@ RTLkyuubi: its only for shows/competitions really, although i could never stop myself turning it up and shaking other cars in the multi-storey till their alarms went off!

With that much power draw you'll need to increase the engine idle to stop it bogging down I imagine!

Edit: Sorry just realised this thread is from a few days back :p

@ ceirwan: im hoping a high-output alternator will keep the juice flowing nicely at normal rpm, although a twin battery setup is now on the cards as i have a spare battery kicking around ;)

@ RTLkyuubi: i think it does! at least, i hope it does! lol

Little box is not intelligent in reality. It only opens a valve on the side of the carb, thats all lol.

Back