Just acquired . . .

Jthspace

Site Supporter
. . . a 2000 3 door "W" reg 1.0 Celebration. It was an insurance Cat C 2.5 years ago but has had the Certification done and 2 MOT's since then, so for the money (not very much) thought it was worth it as a second car. Since looking for the Micra, found this site and now want to make sure it looks a bit better than it does now, and also spend a bit to make it last!

It has 76,000 miles on it, usual supermarket rashes along the panels and a bit of rust on the tailgate edge which has been badly touched up with the wrong colour silver.

A local village garage is gong to pre MOT check it for me and give it a "once over", after that I will do the, what was called in my younger day, "plugs, points, tappets, timing" services.

Rear offside panel has had a dent and it looks like they have used a vacuum panel puller so it looks O.K. but has stretch marks; not sure if I want to go to the cost of a panel beater at this stage . . .??

So, quick question - the front bumber has had a knock at once time and has been repaired, but looks untidy (not very good repair, over-spray on bumber inserts etc). I saw a new bumper for sale locally for £45 but it is for the next model year; can I assume it will fit? I think the answer is "yes" but I would like someone to let me know if possible.

Oh, usual "thanks" to all the people who have posted guides / advice etc - I will be making use of them as I tidy the car up.

New radio on it's way, old one had a non functioning display.
Only one key - pain in the tush at getting spares. Thinking of mounting the key chip under the dash near the ignition so as to, effectively, by-pass the NATS for now, until I can get some new keys cloned.
Central locking will be fitted, and an alarm / new immobiliser.

Want to keep the engine "as is" as a second car and for economy, but who knows, with all the advice / mods on here, I may be tempted!

Will post some pictures in a week or so in the blog secton, unfortunately travelling for the next week and a half.

All the best

Jeff

Thanks for the welcomes.

Didn't have a socket for a phone charger, so fitted a Halfords ciggy lighter; the car had the wiring for the unit already in place. Just had to solder a spade terminal on the wire. Easy. Noticed the fuse panel is fully loaded with fuses even for items not fitted (CVT/AirCon/etc). Maybe the car was made just before the change to the next model year, it was registered June 2000 so was probably on the production line just before the change? Probably cheaper to just fit the same wiring loom / fuse box regardless of model.

The car does have a sunrof which is a bonus, nice to have for some air-flow.

Jeff

Back