Jim Clark Rally 2012, photographers?

Some nice photos there mate... Is it something you've been doing long? I'm a photographer myself, used to photograph bands mostly until I moved from Liverpool. Have wanted to do race/rally photography for ages but didn't know how to get into it... Oh, and I still use film... yeah, I'm old school!

Thanks very much!
I've been into photography for a few years now, but only really starting to get more into it now.
Ahh that was the second rally I'd been to and photographed, of course many of the photos aren't of good use, to anyone, I'm still just finding my way! :p
I'm planning on Olivers Mount and Knock Hill for the rest of the year, hoping to get better results each time! (I'll post them when the time comes! :) )

I just use digital at the moment. I have used film and I have been passed down my Grandad's old cameras, one is film and just a bit of a clean/fix up. I'd like to think I'd be using more film if I had my own little darkroom to be able to do it all myself!

A few basics for photographing rallies - continuous focus, shutter priority and a high ISO!- Oh and always shoot in RAW!
You can see all the settings I used by going onto my photos, and clicking where it says what camera I have used.

Again, some really good photos there... the one of the Mini is my particular favourite! :)

Would love to have a go at that using film, get some nice grainy action snaps... Though the quality and detail from your camera is magnificent!

Just out of curiosity though, are you standing still snapping the cars as they come towards you because the pictures are like a single stationary frame from a film or something if that makes sense? The cars don't look like they're moving?

That is in no way a dig or critism or anything, just my opinion and a geniune curiosity... Try maybe a slower shutter speed and follow the cars with the lens as they move then snap. You should get some nice car shots with blurred backgrounds then, gives the illusion of speed and movement...

Sorry to sound like I'm telling you what to do or anything, I am by no means a real photographer, and your work is impressive as is!

Can't wait to see more! :)

Again, thank you!

I was stood still, but also moving with the car. I shoot using continuous focus, so that (obviously) as I follow the car through the viewfinder, the car remains completely in focus.
I will give it ago, what you said though! Very good advice, thank you :) I'm not taking any of it in a bad way :p

I'll try it and be sure to show you the outcome!

Ah, the co-driver was yelling at the marshalls because they wouldn't put their car ONTO the circuit to pull his out and he was shouting about saying that no one was helping, when every one (except me and two other women) were treading through the puddles of mud, trying their best to pull the car out! Whilst having to watch out for the rest of the cars coming around.
We were told at the end (was the last stage) that he was being spoken to for speaking to us in that way though :)

Back