Is this CV joint ok to use? (has some damage)

CMF_muncher

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

Long story short, one of my CVs got jammed in the transmission and I damaged it a bit getting it out. There is no damage to the actual shaft itself, mostly dented dust cap? (see Pics). I was wondering if it's still OK to use, or best to get it repaired? FYI, it was a new CV shaft so all the boots and internals are new.

Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
aye those snag rings are a pita aint they muncher :) some grease will help to hold it central, and dont run the car with a shaft removed eh, the 2 bevel gears can easily dislodge and drop down !

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
+1 to the hate for those little rings. PITA!
I got an original boot kit from Nissan and the ring snapped in half while trying to install the shaft.. fortunately both bits stuck to the grease and came back out with the shaft.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
muncher WROTE:

"Yeah! I didn't drive without shaft in, but it wasn't in fully. Would this cause a problem with the bevel gears?

you only need to check that there is a spline showing down the hole muncher.
the arrow on this welded diff shows where the domed thrust washer is fitted, and the only thing holding the bevel gear in place is the spline of the c/v, so if you hold 1 spline and spin the diff the bevel gear slides out and drops down into the bottom of the g/box !

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
I've destroyed a drive shaft before, first I couldn't get it in the box(and ive replaced heaps of shafts) then I thought it must be in cause it was stuck, drove down road and it spat out, then I couldn't get it out of the hub and bent the outer splined axle trying to get it out, this is the same shaft I tried to get the outer spline off of to measure shaft the other day, wouldn't come apart like the other shaft I was measuring, had to grind it off

I'm betting yours was the same brand, not your fault, just crappy cheap-arse aftermarket driveshafts me thinks

CMF_muncher

» CMF Member
Yeah, they are an after market shaft, they came with the car when I purchased it.

Just had a check and it looks like there is something is blocking the CV shaft going into the box. Do I have to take the gearbox out of the car or is there an easier fix?

2yye1j6.jpg

CMF_muncher

» CMF Member
Ok cool, It just looked like there wasn't enough room for the CV shaft to fit in there and I was worried! Will attack it this weekend and keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again, have a great weekend guys TGIF!

CMF_muncher

» CMF Member
Got the dust boot straightened and put the boot back on. Lined up the ring so the split was at the bottom and put some grease there to help it stay in its place. Worked well and is all back together and running now. Hopefully wont have to do the CVs again for a while. Next up, LHS ball joint! I'm guessing I'll have to get it pressed in / out.

Thanks again for your help, was greatly appreciated!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
you can bash the balljoint out with a socket muncher, but most uk members change the whole wishbone
you have to load the suspension before tightening up the front inner rubber bush tho :)

Back