intermittent electrical problems!

Hi I have a micra s, and I am having trouble with my micra

1. I have a problem with the dials intermittently when the car has been started. The petrol gauge shows empty (i know i have a full tank), and rev meter either shows no revs or high revs when car is at idle. If you turn off ignition and then turn it back on they work fine. Also this doesn't happen every time you start the car, it can be months before the problem occurs again.

2. the radio doesn't always power up when car is started, but there is power there as the backlight is on, I think this may be a loose connection. But when turning ignition on at it powers up then once you turn ignition to start engine it goes off and doesn't come on :S

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I have a micra s, and I am having trouble with my micra

1. I have a problem with the dials intermittently when the car has been started. The petrol gauge shows empty (i know i have a full tank), and rev meter either shows no revs or high revs when car is at idle. If you turn off ignition and then turn it back on they work fine. Also this doesn't happen every time you start the car, it can be months before the problem occurs again.

2. the radio doesn't always power up when car is started, but there is power there as the backlight is on, I think this may be a loose connection. But when turning ignition on at it powers up then once you turn ignition to start engine it goes off and doesn't come on :S

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I get the same problem with the radio, and also intermittently and Nissan told me they couldn't find anything wrong. The electrical mirrors are on the same circuit which can be a real bloody pain when you've got them angled for parking and need to move lanes and can't adjust them. But like you said a restart makes it work fine.

I also get something similar where the steering wheel controls will just stop working and then start again all of their own accord! Tell us if you find a fix as I find it really annoying too!

mine hasn't played up for a while, but going to take the dash board apart and have a look, also my interior light doesn't work when opening the door, but works when select to put in on manually .
fwn

It all stinks of the French electrics in out beloved K12s.... The curse of my old Peugeot was the electronics.

The radio problem sounds very much like an issue with a loose wire. I had a problem in my Primera where the radio would sometimes not come on, and was affected by turning the ventilation dials... turned out the wires (which included two extra looms to convert to the Nissan plug) were hanging behind the dials, and the moving parts were pulling at my wires! I had to replace the Alpine loom, and tidy things up behind the dash, and no more problem.

As for the dials, couldn't tell ya :p woulda said another loose wire, but that doesn't get fixed by turning it off then on again. My inclination with an intermittent problem, would be to ignore it, especially something unimportant like this. If it stops working full stop, then seek a solution.

But I do hope someone else comes along with something more useful for ya ;)

In my K11 I put a JVC stereo in and the wiring loom and adapters where so heavy that after about 500 miles of bumpy buckinghamshire roads it had pulled itself out and kept intermittently turning on and off, but this problem is more of an engine restart thing, that's what fixes it so I doubt a loose wire, I also mentioned the problems to Nissan and they said they checked all the cabling and found nothing wrong, so it's probably just the car getting a little confused on the odd occasion. So long as it all works at the end of the day I wont complain too much.

Back