Immobilisers - What gives?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey,
Just got a remote alarm and immobiliser from ebay for $40 on ebay :D Looks pretty good, i dont know how many points the immobiliser is but still unsure wether to stick with my nice manual immobiliser with the little plug on it and have a seperate remote alarm+central locking (ebay - $40)option.

ANYWAY,
I wanted to install it all myself. Do you need to get a qualified auto-electrician to install immobilisers? Or do you need a certified someone that can install it to meet the immobiliser laws and such? Im quite sure the installed immobiliser is way better than the one im getting off ebay. But was just wondering!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Hi Tom. I just had em installed on my 2 Micras. I got it done at Auto One. Hack has front door only central locking plus immobiliser and Whitey just has immobiliser that works off the pin. Hack one better of course as less fiddling around.
I know in W.A. they are mandatory but must meet Australian
standards. Check with any auto shop as I am sure they would not sell ones that did not comply.Maybe ones off e bay may not.Just over $200 bucks to get Hacks done including fitting.They were on special at the time.Do not need an auto electrician.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Toma you can bet that system you bought off ebay doesnt comply to Australian standards. This is now an absolute must for anyone in WA I believe.

Youre better off putting that thing you bought back on ebay and saving $250 for a decent Mongoose M60 series (2 point immobilisation, more features than you really need) and get yourself a workshop manual which has a proper wiring diagram.

I must warn you - its not by any means easy. I was having a snoop around my dash and I think the safest and easiest way to install it would be to remove the dash. No bad back then :p

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Oh and I'm not sure abotu the installation part but I THINK in WA they're meant to be installed by a qualified technician.

I'm sure you could get away with doing it yourself though and just claim you bought the car with it installed.

Attachments

• 16070.jpg
    16070.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 28

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Thanks for confirming my suspicions guys. Looks like i wont bother hooking the immobiliser in, just the remote alarm + central locking. I guess seperate security systems is a harder nut to crack in the long run anyway. So if somehow they get the remote frequency, they cant open, disarm and drive off with my car! :D

I have been looking at some high-end systems Yom, but there so expensive, and then i gotta get them professionally installed with would bump the total price to somewhere around $600 here in WA. A real pain in the ass. Ill re-access the situation once i get the ebay items and see what the real deal is.

Heres the item i got anyway,
http://tinyurl.com/lm29k
I plan to install and extra secret siren rather than use my car horn to sound.

Back