How to remove Power assisted Steering(PAS)?

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
hi guys,

need some advise. I got this 96 K11 auto with PAS. I am wondering is there any easy way to remove the PAS. I think i prefer not to use the PAS. I hope that i d not need to change major parts.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Its a big job as you need to get the rear pulley system from a non AC micra.<BR><BR>Ideally you also need a non power steer rack.

thanks yom, quick question..

can i just remove the aircon belt? or remove the PAS fluid?
will there be any side effect?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
No you can't. If you drain the fluid the pump will run dry. Not good.

If you remove the aircon belt, you won't have an alternator or aircon. But you'll still have power steer.

If you remove the power steer belt you'll have no waterpump and you'll soon overheat.

There's no 'easy' way to do it I'm afraid.

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Its a big job as you need to get the rear pulley system from a non AC micra.<BR><BR>Ideally you also need a non power steer rack.

Don't you mean the "rear pulley system" from a non power steering micra, not a "non AC micra"

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"No you can't. If you drain the fluid the pump will run dry. Not good.<BR><BR>If you remove the aircon belt, you won't have an alternator or aircon. But you'll still have power steer.<BR><BR>If you remove the power steer belt you'll have no waterpump and you'll soon overheat.<BR><BR><BR>There's no 'easy' way to do it I'm afraid.

thanks a million yom..
i think i will stick to it then..

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
It's just a bracket & pulley to replace the pump, wouldn't call that a major. I think it's only held on with 2 bolts.

The pump, resovior & hoses can all be removed.
With the vehicle jacked off the ground & all hydraulic lines removed from the rack, quickly push the wheels from lock to lock a few times to remove all fluid from rack.
Where the steering column fits into the rack the steel hydraulic lines can be removed & the ports plugged to prevent dust getting in (cut the line near the fitting & crimp)
One of the existing lines connecting to the rack itself can be rebent & used to connect one end of the rack to the other. Displaced air from the rack will travel from one end to the other throught he line offering no resistance.

This will leave you with a faster steering ratio & tighter turning circle than if swapped the manual rack.

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"It's just a bracket &amp; pulley to replace the pump, wouldn't call that a major. I think it's only held on with 2 bolts.<BR><BR>The pump, resovior &amp; hoses can all be removed. <BR>With the vehicle jacked off the ground &amp; all hydraulic lines removed from the rack, quickly push the wheels from lock to lock a few times to remove all fluid from rack.<BR>Where the steering column fits into the rack the steel hydraulic lines can be removed &amp; the ports plugged to prevent dust getting in (cut the line near the fitting &amp; crimp)<BR>One of the existing lines connecting to the rack itself can be rebent &amp; used to connect one end of the rack to the other. Displaced air from the rack will travel from one end to the other throught he line offering no resistance.<BR><BR>This will leave you with a faster steering ratio &amp; tighter turning circle than if swapped the manual rack.

thanks mate,

you just reopen my hope of changing to non PAS.. i think i will change it to manual soon.

thanks

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
micrat: That won't wear the steering rack will it?

That sounds ALOT easier than going to the trouble of removing the rack and replacing it with a manual rack.

It won't be any harder to steer than a proper unassisted rack?

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
yom have ask the question that i was about to ask..

will it be harder to steer?

I am not good at this mechnical stuff, i told the workshop, they they said that it will be very difficult to steer copared to an unassisted rack.

anybody have done this before?? very interesting..

i dun know anything about the below picture...

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
It will not feel the same as trying to turn the steering wheel with the engine turned off.
Once the fluid is removed from the rack it moves freely, just like a normal non assisted rack.
It will be about 7.4% harder to steer than a normal K11 unassisted rack because the ratio is faster. I consider this a problem.
There will be some remnants of power steer fluid left which would provide some lubrication. The actual steering rack is lubricated with grease & is separate from the power steer part.
I did this with a mate to his N14 Pulsar about 4-5 years ago. It's still running fine.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
7.4% harder to steer. Hmm. No worries, just need to hit up the gym harder? :p

Just means I don't have to remove the rack (really can't be buggered doing it LOL) and I can keep the ratio I like (i dont mind the power steer ratio at all, I'm not overly keen on the LX/SLX ratio but Super S manual rack I like).

Also if I don't ruin my own fluid lines that means I can reconnect it all back up moderately easier in the future if I decide I don't like it.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I lived at Dairy Farm Estate, there was a high school just down the road... Actually I think there were a couple of schools in the area.

Myself & a couple of other guys had a work car while I was there but didn't use it much other than going to work. Parking was always more hastle than what I'm used to & the traffic was generally slowish, grind in the morning was just as bad as any largish city. Didn't help that the car was an automatic mazda 323, probably 1.3L, was gutless. Always used to laugh about the number of car crashes we'd see, I think we averaged about 1 every trip between home & work.

Singapore is too hot & humid for my liking. The shopping got a bit boring after 4 months. Swimming, tennis, cycling, stuffing around with computers & IRC kept me entertained. The speed slide at the water park on sentosa was also a favorite but it closed. Sometimes I'd go to JB & buy some pirate VCD's, either on bicycle or bus. Melaka & other singaporean holiday favorites didn't do much for me. There were plenty of times I went to work on sunday because there was nothing better to do.

CMF_Raman

» CMF Member
yup...

you said it NZ, nothing much here but i feel very safe in singapore. its summer all year round..

Dairy farm is near my workplace at woodlands..

Back